DIY Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Ok, I have some dimensions. I'll start with the simple ones and complicate it from there.

The space behind the seats is 900Wx820Lx600H in mm.
However the gearbox and motor will eat up 500mm of the length. There will be a little more length available on the motor side.
The seat lays back 200mm at the highest point which also eats into the length (its 820 at floor height and 220 at shoulder / panel height.
The chassis is 1000mm wide at the bottom of the seats but narrows towards the back to 900mm. There is also suspension mounts that eat into the width by 100mm on each side. So the available width is 700mm at floor height or 900 if the battery mounting is raised by 50mm to clear the suspension mount.

So I think the worse case scenario is 700W x 300L x 550H (Assuming a tilted mount to match the seat back). But I may be able to improve on this space depending on the flexibility of the chosen batteries.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Oh and the centre hump is really not usable. It is only 100mm wide on the outside of the structure and it does still need to house the handbrake, handbrake cables, gear shift and gear shift cables.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Ok, I have some dimensions. I'll start with the simple ones and complicate it from there.
:)

The space behind the seats is 900Wx820Lx600H in mm.
However the gearbox and motor will eat up 500mm of the length. There will be a little more length available on the motor side.
The seat lays back 200mm at the highest point which also eats into the length (its 820 at floor height and 220 at shoulder / panel height.
The chassis is 1000mm wide at the bottom of the seats but narrows towards the back to 900mm. There is also suspension mounts that eat into the width by 100mm on each side. So the available width is 700mm at floor height or 900 if the battery mounting is raised by 50mm to clear the suspension mount.

So I think the worse case scenario is 700W x 300L x 550H (Assuming a tilted mount to match the seat back). But I may be able to improve on this space depending on the flexibility of the chosen batteries.
It sounds huge, until the powertrain is considered. ;)

Presumably that front-back length is 620 mm at shoulder height (820 -200). The tilt back idea looks promising.

700 mm x 300 mm x 550 mm is 115 litres... perhaps a bit better than we were guessing earlier, and more than enough space for as much battery as the mass budget allows, if the shapes and proportions of the cells or modules work out reasonably.

Of course other components need to fit in back there (or up front), such as the controller, likely cooling system, charger, BMS, DC-to-DC, 12 V battery, and wiring termination boxes. You've dealt with all of that before, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh and the centre hump is really not usable. It is only 100mm wide on the outside of the structure and it does still need to house the handbrake, handbrake cables, gear shift and gear shift cables.
If the seating area is the same 900 mm wide inside, that's 400 mm (16 inches) per seat (after accounting for the 100 mm hump/tunnel/console)... as you said before, nothing extra there!

Depending on component placement, there may also be AC or HV DC cables in there, and perhaps even coolant lines.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Thanks Brian. I agree with all you have said. Weight and packaging are the main challenges from here. Oh yes, you picked up a typo from me. Yes that should be 620 at shoulder height. I'll correct that shortly.
The power train does sit low. So there is space above them. Probably not suitable for batteries but certainly a controller may end up there.
As you say the other components are too challenging. I want to keep everything involving big cables at the back of the car if possible. I'd prefer to minimise the total cable weight. That means the controller will likely be at the back. The other components can mostly sit in the ample space above the occupant's legs. I would still like to reserve some of that space for small luggage items. I think there is room for both.
Yes the seating area is 900 + 100 inside at the hips. It will be wider at the shoulders but that width has not been set yet. There is a possibility of mounting small components (not batteries or controllers) in the voids down the sides. But access there will be limited so I struggle to think of anything that would be suited there.
I am likely to get a drive in a finished GTZ this weekend. It will be interesting to take a close look at all the dimensions. I have seen one in person before. But that was way before I was considering building one.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Here is the latest.
The Front Driver side is adjusted, cut and welded on the inside.
The Front passenger side is almost adjusted and almost ready to be cut and welded.
The rear is not adjusted yet at all.
I have cut the tops of the passenger side door. I just need to cut some and weld some tube to achieve the desired contour along the top.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I appreciate the ludicrous amount of effort and documentation going into this. I'm not posting much because your skill level is so far beyond what I would even consider possible, but, don't take my or anyone's silence for a lack of appreciation or interest, this is a magnificent build.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I appreciate the ludicrous amount of effort and documentation going into this. I'm not posting much because your skill level is so far beyond what I would even consider possible, but, don't take my or anyone's silence for a lack of appreciation or interest, this is a magnificent build.
Thanks for the very kind words. Although I am not sure I agree with my skill level. I am still a beginner/novice at all this stuff (including EVs). I am just using ambitious projects to build skills along the way. I wouldn't want to pass myself off as an expert just because I've dipped my toe in the water. I am totally conscious I'm not starting the project with the skills required. I am also aware there will be mistakes and rework along the way. My previous projects have been focused on grass roots motorsport and as a result I could accept results that were less than perfect. This is intended to be a piece of art so I need to alter my approach to be much less forgiving. The challenge will also be avoiding the excuse "This was my first attempt, that's why its not perfect". I am sure there will be cases where that ends up being true and that's ok if I only find out after the fact.

I appreciate your response and I am not concerned about responses. But I think I will get a significant increase in responses once I start adding shaped metal. I can't begin shaping metal until at least the basic buck is complete. There is a risk that when I stand back and consider the completed buck there might be a problem that makes me redesign an earlier part of the buck. If I had already shaped metal based on the earlier design that piece would be wasted. Some consistency in the buck is crucial otherwise the panels will not line up with each other. I will be continuing to post updates when ever there is noticeable progress. This weekend I only have a portion of one day available but I still hope to tidy the front passenger side, progress the passenger door and commence adjusting the rear passenger corner. I have been working on it at night during the week but progress is limited as I can't use my grinder etc. There are stations on the buck that require cutting before they will settle into the correct position. So I can't even commence adjustment on those.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I do have a little issue I am working through. I had been given a boost of confidence because I found a metal shaping trainer on Youtube who was using a Spyder as his example for in depth tutorials on his approach. So I though I was all set to follow his lead. But I have been informed by a 50 year veteran Italian coachbuilder that his approach is dead wrong and fraught with peril. That view has been backed up by many others in the same forum. So in some regards I am back to square one to try and understand the "correct" way. But I won't totally discard what I have seen. It may well still be useful along the way. So long as I achieve the desired results I don't mind.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts