DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is not strictly for an electric car. I am building a go-kart. I've read through this section of the forum and I've seen a couple of posts about using Sears Platinum Batteries.

I am somewhat confused about the specs on their page though. It says 100AH at 20 hour rate. Reading up on google, this apparently means I can do 5A draw for 20 hours. But can I draw more? If I draw 100A, would it last an hour? Would there be much damage to the batteries this way?

I am mostly looking at SLA because the thundersky batteries, although nicer/smaller, are way too expensive for my purpose (my kart will be about $1200-1300 without batteries... and just batteries will cost about $2000).

I am open to other suggestions, but just figrued I'd clear stuff up about these Sears batteries that are supposed to be pretty good AGMs for EVs.

Thanks,
Aditya

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
my complaint: there are cheaper versions than Sears. Wally world, interestate, and the like come to mind. Do a search on google or whatever. The only reason I'd go that way would be if I lived 50 miles from the nearest small town and a sears store was there.

you have a decent grasp of the Ah issue, but the draw rate at 20 hrs is a bit higher because the chemical reactions can keep up with the current requirements. You can draw more, but the chemical factory can support only so much (generally thought of as watt hours) so as you draw more the time you can is limited. Car starters generally draw a couple hundred amps for just a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to make sure, has anyone used these Sears batteries under high discharge? I am looking for 150A continuous discharge. It's a go kart, so if the batteries last 30min-1hr per charge, that's fine for me. But I would like them to have a decent lifespan.

Opinions? Previous Experience?

Thanks much,
Adity

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have four Sears Platinum PM-1 batteries in my EV. They are actually re-branded Odyssey PC2150 AGM batteries. Look at odysseybatteries.com-files-techbook to learn more. The EV is a City-EL. Manufactured in Germany 1993, weighs 780 lbs without driver, batteries weigh 75 lbs each. The batteries are about four years old, but I only have owned the car for the past year and I do not have good data on the charge/discharge history during the first three years. The car pulls 30 to 60 amps at a steady 35-40 mph, and 250 to 300 amps under full throttle acceleration. I get 35 to 40 amp-hours draw before the state of charge drops to 50%, which is the minimum SOC I use to prolong life. I think 70-80% of the 20-hr amp-hrs rate is typical for this type of battery in an EV application.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just to make sure, has anyone used these Sears batteries under high discharge? I am looking for 150A continuous discharge. It's a go kart, so if the batteries last 30min-1hr per charge, that's fine for me. But I would like them to have a decent lifespan.

Opinions? Previous Experience?

Thanks much,
Adity
Like Solarsenior said, the sears Platinum batteries are just re-branded odyssey batteries. The specs are identical.

I have 2 of the PM-1 batteries that I use for all kinds of stuff. I have drawn 150A from these cells for about 20 minutes straight and they did not care. They will also take as much charge as you can give them.

Odyssey recommends that you charge to 14.4V per battery when there in series and 14.5 singly.

-Adam

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've replaced the stock batteries in my Ranger EV with 26 Sears PM-1 AGM marine batteries. They've been running for two years now and still going strong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts