DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to find the right motor to replace the V8 engine for my car. I’d like to retain the automatic 4 speed trans.

Here’s the cars specs
Weight:3732 lbs
V8: 135hp (net) 200lb tq 100kw

I was wondering about using a forklift motor? What size and type should I look for?

Id also need a dual shaft motor to run accessories off the front: Power steering pump, AC, Vacuum pump (for brakes and accessories.

Range: mostly commuter miles. Flat terrain. 25-30 miles round trip max.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
None of your specs make sense. When you need power steering the most, the motor is not turning. At a standstill, the pump on the transmission is not making pressure.

Unless you keep the torque converter, which is very inefficient and with the transmission is about 200 pounds of useless weight.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Id also need a dual shaft motor to run accessories off the front: Power steering pump, AC, Vacuum pump (for brakes and accessories.
This method of powering accessories was popular many years ago. Now, each accessory typically gets its own electric motor to operate it appropriately; the easiest source of electrically-operated accessories is salvage from production EV or hybrid vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
None of your specs make sense. When you need power steering the most, the motor is not turning. At a standstill, the pump on the transmission is not making pressure.

Unless you keep the torque converter, which is very inefficient and with the transmission is about 200 pounds of useless weight.
Yes I was planning to keep the torque converter and leave the motor running at low speed (idle) when stopped. I know this is not the preferred method, but I’m trying to do this conversion with minimal expense.

My desire is to have a commuter vehicle. I’m not looking for performance or high speed.

The other issues is I need to keep the transmission to drive the vehicle as this is a front wheel drive car and it’s too complicated to try to redo it without the original transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This method of powering accessories was popular many years ago. Now, each accessory typically gets its own electric motor to operate it appropriately; the easiest source of electrically-operated accessories is salvage from production EV or hybrid vehicles.
Yes I was planning to keep the torque converter and leave the motor running at low speed (idle) when stopped. I know this is not the preferred method, but I’m trying to do this conversion with minimal expense.

My desire is to have a commuter vehicle. I’m not looking for performance or high speed.

The other issues is I need to keep the transmission to drive the vehicle as this is a front wheel drive car and it’s too complicated to try to redo it without the original transmission.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
I know this is not the preferred method, but I’m trying to do this conversion with minimal expense.
So... how minimal is "minimal" expense?

Because, you're going to have to spend some money on batteries. No way around it.

And, compared to the cost of batteries, all the little stuff doesn't add up to much. And, it'll hurt your range significantly, meaning you'd save money on batteries if you didn't do it.

No objection to doing things differently, or just doing what you want because that's what you want, but, just playing devil's advocate that you aren't being pennywise and dollarfoolish. If you're doing a bit of a kludge to save money, and it doesn't save money, and you weren't doing it that way for a specific fun... then, you'd probably want us to talk you out of it now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts