DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hii everybody, i am doing a project , converting my motorcycle to electric motorcycle. i was almost completed and i have decided to choose ac motor for my vehicle. which motor best suits my motorcycle? and which type of speed controller should i pick up to run my motor with a speed of 65mph?:)

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Get a motor and controller that are matched if you're going to do it. You'll spend lots of time and effort otherwise, that's if you can even get it running well.

Whats your budget?

Whats the voltage you're using?

I sell HPEVS systems that are AC Induction and use a Curtis AC controller. I sell a Water cooled BLDC setup with a Sevcon AC controller. Just depends on what kind of budget and performance you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my budget is $350-400 and the voltage i am interested is 240v because more voltage gives more power to the motor(from google) . one more thing that, induction motors are perfect? or synchronous?

thanks for the information

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Good luck, that's going to be hard to find an inverter or motor for a budget like that.

You could get an industrial motor, but the problem lies in finding an inverter for it and then spending time to tune it. Either way you're looking at Cheap motor, expensive controller or a $2500-$3500 motor/controller combo.

Why go AC? Why not just get a brushed PMDC motor and a cheap alltrax?

·
Registered
22 Posts
my budget is $350-400 and the voltage i am interested is 240v because more voltage gives more power to the motor(from google) . one more thing that, induction motors are perfect? or synchronous?

thanks for the information
Frodus is right i'm reworking my entire project.

My original goal was ~100hp to keep up with the sport bikes my buddies ride but to get over the 60hp mark you're looking at 10 grand in just motor and motor controller. Then another 5-7k in batteries

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
batteries doesn`t a matter, i have batteries more than enough, but i am very much interested in creating an ac induction motor electric motorcycle. how can i select controller for 72v ac induction motor?, controller should have 72 v and 350 amp enough?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry bro its not opening, can u please suggest another ? i just want to know that for induction motor with 220v does 220vac 350 amp controller suitable?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
... i just want to know that for induction motor with 220v does 220vac 350 amp controller suitable?
That sounds about right for a 100hp motor. And this is about the size of such a controller. http://driveswarehouse.com/p-2333-sj700-1500hfuf2.aspx For an EV application running from batteries, the size could be reduced about 50%. But the cost will remain similar.

You should consider the advice offered by frodus. And lurk on the emc forums: http://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/ & http://www.elmoto.net/forum.php

1 - 9 of 9 Posts