DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Glad to join the forum. I have been getting more into the EV world over the last couple of years and finally have enough disposable income that I am looking to start putting together my first solo EV build. I previously was a part of my college's FSAE team and got to experience the fun first hand of a high performance EV. I got a pretty good experience for all the components and assembly requirements (as well as a ton of good work on developing methods for simulating vehicles), but am very much a novice when it comes to working on electrical systems first hand. I have been looking to put together my first EV over the next year or two to build up to the car I ultimately want to build, an ultra high performance EV based off an old Triumph Spitfire.

I look forward to taking part. If there is anyone who wants help with vehicle modelling or vehicle setup (like chassis tuning), I would be glad to offer help with that in exchange for help growing my EV skills!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
What's "EV skills"?

Do you mean handson wrenching vs being a keyboard jockey?

Sounds to me like you avoided dirty fingernails in school and you're again avoiding it in your own "build".

In the real world, if you don't do it, if you don't pay someone to do it, and if the household servants laugh at you for asking them to do it, it won't get done...it'll remain a computer simulation with chassis-tuned awesomeness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's "EV skills"?

Do you mean handson wrenching vs being a keyboard jockey?

Sounds to me like you avoided dirty fingernails in school and you're again avoiding it in your own "build".

In the real world, if you don't do it, if you don't pay someone to do it, and if the household servants laugh at you for asking them to do it, it won't get done...it'll remain a computer simulation with chassis-tuned awesomeness.
I was talking duty cycle case development, charge capacity requirements, some pack geometry definition, motor selection, final drive selection, part distribution and locations, traction control implementation, launch control implementation, and data logging. Hands on I have not put on the big high voltage gloves and stuck my head in the pack or done stuff like BMS selection but have assisted with solder work, harness debugging, battery pack mounting, motor mounting, machining, harness testing.

Not to mention doing setup work and having several years of experience working on my own dailies and fun vehicles doing wrenching and fab work.

But noooo got to call out a person for highlighting their specialty which happens to be working in vehicle dynamic related simulations.

Not sure on the need for the tone on a welcome post. Almost like I was trying to give a brief background, fun fact, and hello and not make a technical blitz in the welcome subtopic?

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Welcome! :)

Quite a few people have done Spitfire conversions, and the possibility of doing that is what brought me to this forum. Usually they don't target very high performance, for reasons that you'll likely discover as you get further into process, but it can certainly produce an enjoyable vehicle. A somewhat recent thread about Spitfire conversion is this one:
New Mexico Spitfire
... and it refers to earlier conversions. Happy reading!

Not sure on the need for the tone on a welcome post.
That's remy_martian, and certain other members. Don't worry, most of us are usually not like that, and even remy_martian is knowledgeable and can be very helpful... if he deems you and your project to be worthy. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All,

Glad to join the forum. I have been getting more into the EV world over the last couple of years and finally have enough disposable income that I am looking to start putting together my first solo EV build. I previously was a part of my college's FSAE team and got to experience the fun first hand of a high performance EV. My course work was also dedicated to electric vehicles, how they work, the benefits, etc. As well as my capstone project, and it was so interesting for me to work on that topic. At first, I had no idea what to write about, but I found some interesting ideas on 125 Outstanding Capstone Project Ideas in 2022 and decided to write on what I know the most about - EV. And when I was writing, I found and learned a lot of new info, which will undoubtedly be helpful in the future. I got a pretty good experience for all the components and assembly requirements (as well as a ton of good work on developing methods for simulating vehicles), but am very much a novice when it comes to working on electrical systems first hand. I have been looking to put together my first EV over the next year or two to build up to the car I ultimately want to build, an ultra high performance EV based off an old Triumph Spitfire.

I look forward to taking part. If there is anyone who wants help with vehicle modelling or vehicle setup (like chassis tuning), I would be glad to offer help with that in exchange for help growing my EV skills!
Hey!
And how was your team project, did you finish it?
I'm also a college student and also thinking about joining the FSAE team because lately, I became really interested in that.
That's why I joined the forum recently

1 - 7 of 7 Posts