DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Here's my first build. And it is going to be a luxury cruiser for senior citizens and people with health challenges, that do not qualify (anymore) for a full driver license.

So the maximum speed is 25 km/h, the maximum battery voltage is 60V, no programming required, and the motor(s) series wound (no need for regen).
Anyone can drive such a vehicle as long as it is possible to get insurance (at least where I live).

So far I've got the piece of ICE crap I need, the design for the inexpensive DC controller (no uC, DSP or programming skills) and soon a nice spotwelder for a NMC battery pack build.

Budget: €2000.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
An interesting choice of vehicle type, which limits complexity of both the vehicle and approvals... and of course limits where and how it can be used. In North America this is a Low Speed Vehicle and particularly in the U.S. an electric LSV of this style is called a Neighbourhood Electric Vehicle.

25 km/h seems slow even for an LSV, but is probably suitable for the way most of them are used.

Other than the purpose-built NEVs such as the common GEM, traditionally the popular choice is a golf car (cart), with various modifications. Recently, I've noticed in RV resorts where these are common that people are starting to use side-by-side UTVs instead... but many UTVs are usually not senior-friendly, as they are difficult to get in and out of.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, I think I can get this EV approved for a few hunderd Euros

After approval the cops keep an eye on how they are used. Only allowed on the open road with no registration when used to deliver or pick up goods over a short distance,

I'm a senior citizen and as long as the vehicle can take me to the pub, the supermarket and lunchroom/diner I'm gonna have a big smile on my face once I reach 80 and beyond.

For longer distances I'm going a buy a Hyundai Kona or something similar.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a build that has to be done on the proverbial shoestring, so I have selected a very widely used Hella electric vacupump for the brake booster.

Lots of VW , Audi, Skoda and Seat cars have it. And it is really inexpensive as a recycled part.

Next is the power steering pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts