DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

For those who don't know, I'm working on an electric race bike destined to compete with Ripperton's machine this June. All of the 12 V auxiliary stuff is to be powered from a 12 V battery, and this battery is to be recharged between races. It will work for now, but later on I was thinking of getting a DC/DC converter to keep the auxiliary battery topped up.

Here's the problem - the DC bus of my battery pack is 700 V when fully charged. I have isolating contactors which can break the pack up into four equal parts using a half pack contactor and two quarter-pack contactors.

So when I charge the pack, I use two 350 V max chargers and charge the bike as two half packs - no centre tap.

My question to the DIY EV crowd - what is your experience with running the likes of Vicor DC/DC converters with the inputs in series? I understand that a centre-tap is desired, but is it necessary?

If a 700 V capable DC/DC converter existed I would gladly use it. Anyone know how to build one?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, probably about 10 or 15 amps output. I have coolant pumps and fans, contactors, instruments, controller etc, so maybe about 10-12 amps load in total. Racing will be for about 10 minutes or so, but when I eventually make this thing a road going machine I want some level of convenience with respect to keeping the auxiliary battery charged up.

We run 230-250 V AC, 50 Hz in Australia.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.