DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post to these forms. I searched around a bit a could not find an answer to my question, but my apologies if this has already been asked. THis question is also running on the V is for Voltage forums here: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/8677-series-hybrid-generator-control.

I'm currently involved with a team working to convert a 72VDC EV to a series hybrid vehicle. We use a lead acid battery bank and an AXE controller. We have built a ICE-72V DC Generator system and are working to integrate it into the EV to make it a series hybrid.

I can't seem to find any info on the control interface between the DC generator output and the rest of the vehicle. Can we just plug the generator directly in parallel with the battery bank and expect the system to maintain an equilibrium between charging and discharging depending on the motor controller load (seems too simple...)? Is some form of DC-DC Lead Acid battery charger required? What is the standard method of integrating a DC generator output with the battery bank and motor controller aspects of the system?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Andy Sayler
Tufts Hybrid Racing
Tufts University
Medford, MA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I had looked at the website, but the links all seem to be down, so all I have is the images.

I've tried to find a DC/DC converter that will provide be with CV or CC control with little luck. There also doesn't seen to be much available for DC-DC battery chargers with built in CV/CC control.

I could but the generator on an alternator and use a wall voltage AC charger, but this seems silly...

Thanks for the help! Keep any ideas coming.

-Andy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had looked at the website, but the links all seem to be down, so all I have is the images.

I've tried to find a DC/DC converter that will provide be with CV or CC control with little luck. There also doesn't seen to be much available for DC-DC battery chargers with built in CV/CC control.

I could but the generator on an alternator and use a wall voltage AC charger, but this seems silly...

Thanks for the help! Keep any ideas coming.

-Andy
This is a CV/CC generator control board I designed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts