DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A British company (Cella Energy) claims they will be producing a pour-in replacement for gasoline within 3-5 years. Naturally, this could be a scam. The claims? $1.50 / gallon (0.90 P British), and no carbon.

$1.50 / gallon gas.

My first take: Even if they can suspend the hydrogen for $1.50/gallon, where do they plan on getting the hydrogen FROM?

What says everyone?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Nuclear Fast Breeder. Endless supply of dirt cheap electricity. Then use excess heat to make syngas.

G

·
Electricity. Of course. It looks like they are producing a way to store the hydrogen. MMMMMMMMMMMM. Sounds fishy but maybe again. I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sounds fishy to me too. After seeing the promises of Eeestor (are they still going?) for 7 years I'm not getting my hopes up.
I wouldn't say no to owning another gas guzzler though, if the fuel is cheap and clean. Probably a Jaguar XJS with 12 unreliable British cylinders, all threatening a stop-work meeting at any moment... :D

·
Administrator
6,277 Posts
Even if it works superbly its still just a different way of storing energy - with all of the inefficiencies of an IC engine

In ten/twenty years time electric cars will be cheaper than IC cars (a lot less parts) have similar/better range and even a cheap (it won't be) petrol substitute won't change the equation

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if it works superbly its still just a different way of storing energy - with all of the inefficiencies of an IC engine

In ten/twenty years time electric cars will be cheaper than IC cars (a lot less parts) have similar/better range and even a cheap (it won't be) petrol substitute won't change the equation
This was my take, too - except that if at least the energy is less polluting than what we have today and ALSO cheaper, it eases the transition by removing our reliance on foreign / unstable oil.

·
Administrator
6,277 Posts
Hi Phantom

This relates to an earlier thread - because a motor and controller are lighter and smaller than all of the junk required for an IC engine batteries don't have to equal petrol's energy density, they don,t even have to equal 1/3 of petrols energy density

What is needed is that the packages
battery/motor/controller = engine/gearbox/fuel tank/radiator/........
Which is then dependent on the ratio of the energy stores AND the required range

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All true, with the small omission of the bit about the stability of fuel prices.

Even if they can get plants up and running to provide 10% of our needs with "newfuel," it will have a positive effect on our economy and the stability of oil prices. Maybe it's only a transition to cover the gap of Peak Oil (and, I'm not convinced that we've hit that but do agree that what's left is harder to get = more expensive) before the batteries overtake petrol as the energy-density king.

Still, it seems inevitable that electric will triumph in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts