DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, batteries are about in. Will someone give me the parameters to set up my Zilla. (so I don't do the trial and error mistakes) Here are my specs:

a) 2007 Yaris 2400# total weight
b) warp 9 and Zilla HV unit. (currently set for 168v on old 12vx14 agm's)
c) looking for 70 miles range, mostly on 60mph freeway, but going over the mountains from sealevel to 1200 ft. (Twice)
d) have 17 used TS 160ah batteries and 28 new Calb 180~195ah=144v.
e) (using the TS as semi-disposable and will use 90% and maybe 75% of the Calbs). But surely bottom balancing is more critical here so both TS and Calb hit bottom at the same time, otherwise the charge left in the Calb will suicide the TS's
f) Any suggestions on the high/low etc. settings to use? Do I assume sag voltage of say 3.1v is the setting or initial voltage of 3.35v?

thanks
Francis

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I would start with a battery amp setting of 480 (3C) and a minimum battery voltage of 126 volts (2.8 vpc.) I would put the low voltage dash lamp at 135 volts so you can see if you go under 3 volts per cell average. I would set the max motor current no higher than 600 amps initially. Now I wouldn't start out of the garage door by planting your right foot in it, but I like to start with settings that are reasonable to leave in place and inside of the manufacturers specs.

You can easily turn things up later if you want. The Datsun had settings of 5C battery amps and the minimum voltage set at 2.6 vpc. I don't like to play nice though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would start with a battery amp setting of 480 (3C) and a minimum battery voltage of 126 volts (2.8 vpc.) I would put the low voltage dash lamp at 135 volts so you can see if you go under 3 volts per cell average. I would set the max motor current no higher than 600 amps initially. Now I wouldn't start out of the garage door by planting your right foot in it, but I like to start with settings that are reasonable to leave in place and inside of the manufacturers specs.

You can easily turn things up later if you want. The Datsun had settings of 5C battery amps and the minimum voltage set at 2.6 vpc. I don't like to play nice though.
thanks for the start. I gotta watch the mix of cells as the Calbs can have AH left and TS could be almost dead.

Will be using Celllog 8s. Starting off with 2 that will cover 4 cells each to see how much the calbs drive down the TS's

Thanks for the tips
Francis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts