DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, if anyone could help I would be most appreciative:- I have a Sevcon Gen 4 size 8 and it will not recognise the signal from the motor resolver (on pins 19,20, 31 & 32). In my experimenting I have determined that the controller will read a sin/cos signal on pins 19& 20 (sin/Cos) to pin 21 (encoder 0v) when the 'encoder' is set to sin/cos- but I can't use this as the exciter signal disappears after keyswitch toggle (and 5V appears across pins 9 & 21 which are there to power the encoder, when that is configured/set in the DVT). What is confusing is that I get a resolver exciter signal from pins 7&8 (when configured to single or multipole resolver), my assumption being that if it was not configured (in the hardware) for a resolver it would not give the exciter signal. I have been though every CAN address I have access to on the DVT and can see nothing that would inhibit the resolver signal into the controller (and have tried almost every combination of settings in an effort to figure it out). I am wondering if on that particular model they changed the pin designations for the resolver input. The controller model is 634H83210 and is not on the Sevcon drg I have, nor can I find any reference to it anywhere after a multitude of internet searches, any info on that would be gratefully received too. I am now trying to source a sin/cos encoder, but even that is presenting challenges so it would be nice to get the controller to recognise the resolver (fitted to a Meiden 60Kw motor from a Mitsubishi), but am presently at a loss. As I said at the beginning any help gratefully received.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, if anyone could help I would be most appreciative:- I have a Sevcon Gen 4 size 8 and it will not recognise the signal from the motor resolver (on pins 19,20, 31 & 32). In my experimenting I have determined that the controller will read a sin/cos signal on pins 19& 20 (sin/Cos) to pin 21 (encoder 0v) when the 'encoder' is set to sin/cos- but I can't use this as the exciter signal disappears after keyswitch toggle (and 5V appears across pins 9 & 21 which are there to power the encoder, when that is configured/set in the DVT). What is confusing is that I get a resolver exciter signal from pins 7&8 (when configured to single or multipole resolver), my assumption being that if it was not configured (in the hardware) for a resolver it would not give the exciter signal. I have been though every CAN address I have access to on the DVT and can see nothing that would inhibit the resolver signal into the controller (and have tried almost every combination of settings in an effort to figure it out). I am wondering if on that particular model they changed the pin designations for the resolver input. The controller model is 634H83210 and is not on the Sevcon drg I have, nor can I find any reference to it anywhere after a multitude of internet searches, any info on that would be gratefully received too. I am now trying to source a sin/cos encoder, but even that is presenting challenges so it would be nice to get the controller to recognise the resolver (fitted to a Meiden 60Kw motor from a Mitsubishi), but am presently at a loss. As I said at the beginning any help gratefully received.
I am having exactly the same problem, i have put the oscilloscope on the sine a cos and can see the return signal but in the DVT debugger the min and max voltages for the cos and sine are 0v,
Did you resolve this issue?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Are you using all four resolver inputs for sin/cos?

Looking at the manual, Gen4 Size 8 Product Manual V3_3 (RELEASED) V3 3

It sounds like OP was using only one of the paired wired for each signal and referencing it to Encoder 0V which is wrong.

For a resolver application, sin+ and sin- HAVE to be used and cos+ and cos- need to be used. Encoder 0V is irrelevant.

This may be obvious to you, or not...I have no way of knowing how you connected the leads of the scope. You will get resolver outputs and you will appear to get a signal at the Sevcon's inputs, but it's blind to them if you don't connect the resolver pairs to the resolver pair inputs and ignore the Encoder 0V input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all, thanks for getting a conversation going on this, much appreciated. To clarify for Remy above, I did have all four sin cos +/- connected (on pins 19,20, 31 & 32 ) when I had the initial problem. Everything after that was experimentation to try to understand what was going on with the controller- Chris, your problem does indeed look identical to my issue, and I assume you too have all four sin/cos connections correct into the controller, what is the part number on your controller please because if you have the same as mine (634H83210) it may be that those controllers will not read resolvers. I have since given up with the resolver and installed an encoder, which the controller is reading with no problem- the only step left now is to spin the motor at a high enough rpm to allow the controller to read the encoder offset- this little gem was 'hidden' in the DVT help (under motor configuration) but was nowhere to be found in the applications reference manual or the DVT manual. Essentially the motor needs to be spun at a minimum rpm (750 ish for a 3 pole motor, 85 ish for a 28 pole motor) in order for the controller to read the encoder/resolver offset- it has crossed my mind that maybe when I had the resolver fitted I need to have turned the motor over at a much higher rpm for it to read the resolver (it doesn't make sense but it is the only thing I didn't try). Chris, if you have a means to do that (i.e. push the vehicle along if the motor is fitted) that may be worth a try. Please let me know if that works as I may refit the resolver and give it another go (the resolver will be more robust than the encoder I have fitted). Hope this helps. Cheers, Martin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes my controller has the same part number and i am using the same controller pins for the cos and sine inputs as you have said.
From the research i have done these motors us 0.29 resolvers and in the manual it says:
"Gen4 size 8 Beta controllers are built specifically to operate with a resolver transformer ratio of either 0.5 or 0.29. For a particular Gen4 size 8 model, the resolver transformer ratio cannot be configured to a value different from the value stated for that model."
Which might lead me to think we have the wrong controller version for these resolvers. I have contacted the supplier of the controller to see if they can find out the above.
If this is the case we might be able to increase the output using a step up transformer to increase the output from 0.29 to 0.5.
The car is on axle stands and have turned the motor over a number of times and the error has not cleared.
I have also put the scope in a slow trace while turning the motor and got the following outputs on cos and sin.

thanks
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The transformer ratio also crossed my mind (don't know whether our controllers are 0.29 or 0.5) but I figured that even if the TR was incorrect I should still be seeing some signal on the controller. Re spinning the motor- it needs to spin at a a minimum RPM of 760 (for a 3pole motor) to register the offset, maybe the same applies to reading the resolver (I'm guessing here though)- which is what I will try if I ever decide to replace the resolver. I'll update when I have news regarding the final commissioning of the encoder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Emailed the manufacturer and got confirmation the 634H83210 is a 0.5 resolver, so going to investigate using a line transformer to step the signal up. Just waiting for them to arrive. As soon as I have more info I will update the post

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok so a bit of a update, the transformer seems to solve the problem the error has cleared. i can now see the RPM's increase in the test byte in the helper. So now i can put the motor into drive i can feel there is more resistance when i turn the motor backwards then forwards, but when i press the throttle the motor does not spin and the controller then errors. viewing on the helper is looks like its increasing the throttle but the motor does not spin so its erroring with w throttle error.

I have gone through the commissioning in the help, has anyone got any idea's of what the motor parameters should be for the meiden Y61 outlander motor should be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok so a bit of a update, the transformer seems to solve the problem the error has cleared. i can now see the RPM's increase in the test byte in the helper. So now i can put the motor into drive i can feel there is more resistance when i turn the motor backwards then forwards, but when i press the throttle the motor does not spin and the controller then errors. viewing on the helper is looks like its increasing the throttle but the motor does not spin so its erroring with w throttle error.

I have gone through the commissioning in the help, has anyone got any idea's of what the motor parameters should be for the meiden Y61 outlander motor should be?
Ok I works added a short video to you tube, looks like it was not running because the max battery current was set to zero

·
Registered
8 Posts
Currently all appears to be running smoothly my Best solution was to put one transformer on each of the sine and cos signals into the controller, is was easier to match the output impedance that way. This is the final transformer i settled on:
42TM011RC - 1.5K:500R windings ratio 1.8:1
ebay Audio Matching Transformer, Centre Tapped on Both Sides, Various Types, Xicon | eBay

Note: this is the solution i am using as my sevcon controller requires a 0.5 resolver and the motor resolver on my motor was a 0.29 but I do not give any warranty with my advice :eek: You should check the voltage levels from the transformer before connecting to the controller.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts