DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am having issues controlling the current with my Sevcon Gen4 S8. I am using an Emrax 228 3-phase electric motor.

I've just recently got the motor to start spinning, however it over-currents immediately, or sometimes does not want to rotate at all, until I rotate the drum by hand to slightly re-position it. I receive an over-current fault, or a current control fault.

There are a few PID functions for current control, but it doesn't seem to me that this is even the right place to start, based on the behavior. Other settings include various limits, which haven't made a difference.

Iv'e characterized the encoder (RLS RM44AC), and set an offset based off of the data iv'e received, so i'm confident my "timing" is correct (iv'e calibrated many IC engine standalone controllers, so please excuse my non-EE vernacular). Most of the data iv'e filled in from the Emrax Data-sheet, or determined with the information I have (such as the voltage constant from the motor back EMF)

Can anyone offer any suggestions or insight to why I might be experiencing this behavior?I can post the settings if desired, or the entire DCF.

If you need anymore information, please let me know.

About me: I'm a Western Washington University Vehicle Research Institute Student finishing up his senior year.

Thank you,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Iv'e been able to get the motor to consistently start-up on every key-switch; however, it likes to overcurrent. It seem's i'm at a point where it either over-currents, or doesn't have enough current to rotate at all.

Iv'e also noticed that the actual Minimum magnetizing current varies when I try to apply power, typically overshooting my target, or not reaching it at all.

Thanks,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts