DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ,
i am reading this forum since long , reading new post all the time,
i am in canada so all access to junk (specially electric car) very limited or none as per usa, OR outrageous price.(that push me to buy factory made electric car instead of killing my self to convert it)
here is on one idea i am working still didn't make any progress yet , as i am in canada.
- i have excellent mechanical knowledge, with basic electrical/electronics and Zero power electronics.
i am very fascinated by - Toyota Prius hybrid system, to convert full plug-in electric
- remove ICE part and connect smaller gas motor lawn mover/snow blower etc.
just to spin MG 1 to use as a generator only , and MG2 is just drive the car when ever juice low simply MAG1 part start and charge battery, and at final destination we can plug to electric source.

- how easy or possible to make fool inverter module or CAN module ?
- is custom controllar or CAN module possible to do this kind of project?

thanks

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I can't help you with an assessment of the difficulty of handling the control issues; however, a comment about the rest of the components...

Motor-generator 1 (MG2) will be suitable in size, but to use it as an engine-driven generator separate from the rest of the transaxle, you would need to change the gearing; details depend on the generation of Prius, but the power splitter output needs to be disconnected from MG2, and likely locked so that the power splitter planetary gearset acts a transmission (likely a step-up) from engine to generator (MG1).

MG2 will be marginal in power as the only motor driving the vehicle.

Whatever small general-purpose engine you find will likely be less efficient, louder, and dirtier than the original Prius engine. The engines used in the Prius are among the most efficient in the automotive world.

I suggest just adding battery capacity and leaving the mechanical design alone. That's how Toyota makes the production Plug-In Prius; they don't change to a series design.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts