DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
brainstorming a model 3 drive unit project but i'm seeing some projects that use model S drive units (which have their inverters attached still) but ALSO have additional inverters between the batteries and motor....which is weird, doesn't the tesla inverter do all that? Like, what would be the use of additional inverters?

Don't get me wrong there's a ton of fantastic aftermarket inverters, but for the lower cost (included with the motor) and packaging efficiency (literally in the same casing as the motor), i don't know why you'd bother with more.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
brainstorming a model 3 drive unit project but i'm seeing some projects that use model S drive units (which have their inverters attached still) but ALSO have additional inverters between the batteries and motor....which is weird, doesn't the tesla inverter do all that? Like, what would be the use of additional inverters?
I don't think you are understanding what you are seeing. An additional inverter simply makes no sense.

The inverter (power stage) is controlled by a controller; the two are normally packaged together as one product. Some people are replacing just the Tesla controller board with a different one, still controlling the original Tesla inverter, to gain control instead of dealing with the stock Tesla programming. I suppose some people are putting another computer between their inputs (accelerator pedal, etc) and the Tesla controller so that it will all work without all of the Tesla Model S components.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My original example of what i'm referring to is icon's mercury EV build, which i remember them mentioning having a model S motor and batteries, but they have 2x Reinhardt inverters so i was like "what?"

turns out they don't have a model s motor, they have that really nice Ac race motor i keep forgetting the name of, coupled to a drive shaft.

Then again some folks do pull the tesla inverter out for their builds, and i have trouble understanding up, to be honest.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
My original example of what i'm referring to is icon's mercury EV build, which i remember them mentioning having a model S motor and batteries, but they have 2x Reinhardt inverters so i was like "what?"

turns out they don't have a model s motor, they have that really nice Ac race motor i keep forgetting the name of, coupled to a drive shaft...
The confusion due to the wrong motor is understandable. In addition, that car is using two motors (two HVH 250 motor cores from Remy or BorgWarner in a single housing by AM Racing, which they call a Dual-Stack 250), which is the reason for two inverters.

By the way, BorgWarner now owns the HVH motor line (both bare cores and housed motors), and AM Racing (the manufacturer of the motors now known as Cascadia Motion High-Feature motors), and Rinehart Motion Systems (the manufacturer of the inverters now known as Cascadia Motion PM and RM inverters).

Then again some folks do pull the tesla inverter out for their builds, and i have trouble understanding up, to be honest.
Despite the very capable inverter which comes with the Tesla motor, using a different controller/inverter can make sense, because it isn't restricted to the Tesla programming, and so doesn't depend on having the rest of the Tesla components.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts