DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the easiest vehicles to convert? I have an 86 Ranger with a 4 banger and manual tranny. The Beetle looks easier to me with it's rear mounted engine compartment but what do the knowledgeable say? I can go shopping for particular vehicles if the experienced recommend them. I don't know where to start with a motor and batteries either... AC DC? Lithium cells I assume are the go to? I enjoy the 'utility' approach. I am looking forward to the discussion here. Thanks

·
Administrator
6,111 Posts
What are the easiest vehicles to convert? I have an 86 Ranger with a 4 banger and manual tranny. The Beetle looks easier to me with it's rear mounted engine compartment but what do the knowledgeable say? I can go shopping for particular vehicles if the experienced recommend them. I don't know where to start with a motor and batteries either... AC DC? Lithium cells I assume are the go to? I enjoy the 'utility' approach. I am looking forward to the discussion here. Thanks
Simplest Most Frugal but Effective Conversion

Buy a second hand EV - a Leaf or something

You cannot build anything nearly as good for less than about twice as much as one will cost

Think of converting a car in the same area as building a Hot Rod - if you want something unique that is the way to go

Want to save money? - NOT the way to go

·
Registered
311 Posts
The cheapest EV you will ever buy might be a working conversion project.
Or at least a nearly working conversion. You can never recover the money you sink into these things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tinkering said:
Simplest Most Frugal but Effective Conversion

Buy a second hand EV - a Leaf or something

You cannot build anything nearly as good for less than about twice as much as one will cost

Think of converting a car in the same area as building a Hot Rod - if you want something unique that is the way to go

Want to save money? - NOT the way to go
This is why this forum is so valuable; to learn from the learned! Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cheapest EV you will ever buy might be a working conversion project.
Or at least a nearly working conversion. You can never recover the money you sink into these things.
Is a hybrid worth messing with? I see a 2003 Honda hybrid with 330,000 km for $900 CAD.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What years of beetle are usable, best, or easiest? When did they switch to front engine compartments? Are the rear applications the easiest/best?
What are the best or cheapest motors to use? AC or DC? What other components are required? Can you use the controls along with the motor from a golf cart?
Can someone direct me to some good threads I can use in this forum?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
What are the best or cheapest motors to use? AC or DC?
"Best" depends on your goals. You can spent $20,000 on a motor I'm sure if you're wanting a competitive vehicle.

"Cheapest", presuming you want "just a car" that can perform in the general use that a car does for most people, is a DC motor from a dead forklift. Nothing else comes close. Roughly $200 most places.

You won't get regen braking with that motor, but that's a bit overhyped. It adds like 10-15% to your range in city driving. Not a big deal to lose it.

What other components are required?
Speed controller. Batteries. Suitable throttle. Charger.

Almost certainly you'll need an electric brake booster, or something to pull a vacuum so that the brakes work.

You'll need wire and fuses and breakers and all that.

Can you use the controls along with the motor from a golf cart?
You can, but you won't get performance much above golf car performance.

You can generally overdrive most motors just fine. You just give them higher voltage. However, the controller will have a max voltage and current... there are maximums due to limits in the electronics, it costs more money to have components rated for higher, so they're usually not overbuilt much.

In general, a golf car motor is too small to power a car, even if you overdrive it with higher voltage and current and add extra cooling.

Can someone direct me to some good threads I can use in this forum?
I'd say with your basic questions what you need probably isn't specific threads, it's more overview type stuff.

http://www.ev-guide.com/component-overview <-- That's outdated, but might help you get the basics down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts