DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to purchase 28ft Blue-bird, for both motor home and ev conversion.

The reason I want to use a bus is the structural supports throughout the sides of the bus for my workout equipment, muscle up bars, pegboards, grip trainers, etc.

I plan to keep the build to the lightest material possible.

My question is: If I were to buy 2 front end collision Model X performance editions, from one of the auction sites.

My math says those rear axles will be powerful enough to replace the stock diesel.

Is it possible to mount those motors onto the bus?

What garage would have that capacity?

Any word on 4680 battery sales, or Chinese knock-offs?

Looking to start the build March 2022.
Budgeting approximately 200k for full build

·
Registered
571 Posts
Tesla Model X spindles can't carry the weight and the gears & axles aren't designed for the GVW either. Your best bet, IMO, is to attach to the driveshaft or input of the transmission if it's a stick. You can do that with a Tesla LDU, but it's ugly. You don't say if this is a 2wd or 4wd bus.

Performance DU is a waste of money, imo - it's additional giddyup for short acceleration bursts, but uses the same motors and gears. It has what you don't need.

You have bags o money to throw at two front smacked Teslas, yet you're not using the batteries? 4680 is crap...Tesla can't make them, which is why everything that uses it is pushed out in schedule.

As far as garages go, lots around, but I doubt $200k would cover M&L for what is essentially building two cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts