DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 8 VW e-Golf battery modules in my VW kit car setup. There are 4 master modules and 4 slaves from what I can tell. Some have 3 different connectors on top and some have just a single orange connector. I have been able to read the CAN messages on the masters (although not perfectly, yet)

I could almost assume (if it wasn't so dangerous to ASS-ume) that the 8 pin orange on the slave goes straight thru to the 8 pin on the master.

Anyone else have any experience with these modules?

(I am going to attempt to attach the pics in another message)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Nope, not straight through.

every master has up to 8 slave cells, usually from 2 big (4s) or 1 big and 2 small (2s) modules.
I think one or two masters have 6 or 4 slave cells connected.

I can dig up the wiring, but AFAIK no bms solution has found out the balancing commands yet....so how are you planning to use them?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would at least like to monitor the modules to see the charge level in each and monitor temperatures. If I could command a balance that would be great but I'm not counting on it. I could manually balance modules if I found one out of balance.

I am using the code from SimpBMS to monitor: https://github.com/tomdebree/SimpBMS
at least on bench testing

·
Registered
560 Posts
The masters won't work without at least 4 cells connected to them, but they have to be the first in line (most negative) of the next one or two modules, so the way you mounted them is not correct.

on the master, the smaller connector is for the temp-sense wires, the one beside it for celltaps.

I strongly advice you to get the original cables from the e-golf battery

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! Looks like I'll have to shuffle some batteries around.

I have had brief conversations with the batteries with just a master, but I seem to recall it wasn't consistent. I'll need to try this again. If I really need 1 master with 3 slaves attached I might just need to go with a different BMS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts