DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have been doing some research into converting a car over to electricity and was looking for a small car like a Metro. After several months of looking I finally found a donor car in good shape. A few days ago I picked up a '95 Ford Aspire two-door hatchback. I quickly looked through the internet to see if there was anyone out there who has converted one of these over but didnt come up with much. I was just wondering if any of you had any tips or pointers for working on this particular car. I am thinking about going with a 72V system. I will only be using it to go back and forth to work and run errands. Top speed would need to be 45 but most of the time I would be going under 35. And a 30 mile range would be more than enough. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Welcome and good luck. Not 100% sure about the Aspire but it might be similar to this:

www.electric-echo.com

Sounds to me like your needs are about the same as mine, maybe a little less range. I'm going with an ImPulse 9 motor, the Curtis 1231 controller and PB6 Pot box, and 10 x 105Ah lead acid batteries at first (might need an extra 2 - depends on the hills between home and work).

Are you able to recharge at work or will you have to get out-and-back on a single charge?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will more than likely have to go back and forth to and from work on a single charge. The only possible way I might be able to charge at work is with a really really long extension chord, but that isn't going to happen. Right now I only live about 3 miles away from work though. The biggest trips I am looking to do would be across town which is where the 30 mile range comes in.
I appreciate the reply and will be looking at your links today. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts