DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have recently acquired several dozen parts sets from UK built Smith Edison Vans (based on Ford Transit) all are from around 2010.

Each comprises of:
• 4* Brusa NLG513 (black model)
• Enova Systems 90KW Inverter
• Hyundai / Enova 90KW water cooled motor
• Reduction gear suited to rear wheel drive/direct mounting to differential
• MES DEA 3KW Heater
• Vacuum Pump
• Cooling pumps
• Connectors from the original Smith wiring loom

We could split them, for example, if you only wanted the chargers but I would prefer not to.

The background of these is that they were fitted to refrigerated Ford Transit vans for a UK supermarket but were simply too heavy to carry any meaningful load so got parked up and forgotten about.

Asking £3,000 for each complete set + shipping.

Must be the cheapest good quality AC system currently available?

https://imageshack.com/a/H5l4/1

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
If you have any left by March I'll take a set for sure:) Those vans were a disaster and cost an absolute fortune. Nice find:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think its the same. I have a running van here so thinking of writing a 'driver' for gevcu or similar.
Well if you're after a driver for the GEVCU, I'd be happy to help...
I have a fair bit of C code experience, 20+ years of embedded electronics design too.

Richard

·
Administrator
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if you're after a driver for the GEVCU, I'd be happy to help...
I have a fair bit of C code experience, 20+ years of embedded electronics design too.

Richard
Lets discuss it :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi
Interesting to see these. I am using many of these parts in my car.
Gearbox looks different to mine which is rather heavy with its steel housing. Are the housings all steel? If they are alloy which they may be given stiffeners shown which mine does not have, I would be interested in a gearbox.
Otherwise interested in an NLG charger so long as software is available for these. Would also like a motor connector as I ran over mine, but don't expect these are available loose?
I know a bit about the inverters having tried to work out the I/Os without wiring schematics, but knew CAN route was beyond my capabilities, so I decided to use main components and fit a Heubner driver kit. Inverter is now half the size, especially since the inverter housed a small 8kW inverter which I removed.
Good luck selling these. Ideal for RWD conversions.
cheers
Tim

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Dave
I am not aware of any and I tried to get them for a while. Myself and another contact who I know of have worked out most of the I/Os, and we both agreed with our findings so good chance it was correct.
I stopped when i got to the stage of powering up and working out the CANbus. I had by that point decided to use the Johannes Heubner kit using the power side of the Enova Inverter only. It certainly made the inverter smaller.
Let me know if you want the I/O info and send me an email address to send it. Would be interested to hear if you get the Enova controls working.
Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could you help me with hi-res wiring and system diagrams for a 2008-10 (built in 08, reg 10) Smith Edison van? I also need cct. diagrams for the single charger under the bonnet.

Kind Regards,

Nigel Tegg BEng. (electronics)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could you help me with hi-res wiring and system diagrams for a 2008-10 (built in 08, reg 10) Smith Edison van? I also need cct. diagrams for the single charger under the bonnet.

Kind Regards,

Nigel Tegg BEng. (electronics)
Hi Nigel
Ive got a setup, that came off those supermarket fridge vans, so 500 miles new, but with only one Brusa charger. I was going to use it in a Morris ambulance setup, but not very savvy on the electronics front, so would now like to let it all go in one lump, but possibly break up. Note i also have the motor and controller, plus charger of a Smith Newton truck, which is also going to be available shortly. you can contact me on 07964049808 but i am a bit hard of hearing and this is ideal, or text. yours Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there!

Do you have hi-res copies of the wiring and system diagrams for a gen1 Smith Edison (made 08 registered 2010)? I have one sitting without a battery in my car park, which I intend to use as a prototype for new battery development using modern components from Nissan leaf 40kWh systems. I am also developing an EIG battery for them.
I worked for a subsidiary of TATA in Norway on an EV battery using EIG LiPo cells (320) 350V at 200A cont.

Kind Regards,

Nigel Tegg BEng.
07976 177183

1 - 16 of 16 Posts