DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm considering taking the plunge and making up an EV out of my 1985 Cabriolet. It's been parked for a few years and I'd like to get it back on the road..

It has a curb weight of 2000 lbs and with a motor delete probably 1650lbs to start off.

What size/type motor/battery am I looking for about 80-90 miles range and good pickup. I'm in an agressive driving state and need to get out of the way more than not....

Thanks!
-R

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before my '81 Caddy was totaled, I was looking at the HPEVS AC50 with 5 tesla battery packs as a really solid option. CanEV makes an adapter plate would bolt right up to the 020 transaxle and I could retain the clutch. I have nothing else really constructive to add though, since I never got beyond the research stage before the planning died with the truck. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
Electric Sprint Kart
66 Posts
Realize that the 020 transmission is quite weak when it comes to torque, being designed to handle just north of the 92 ft lbs the engine developed when new. IMHO it would be better to mount a FWD motor/transaxle unit off another small EV in place of that and buy custom axles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts