DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
after reading several reviews. The soliton1 seems like the way to go.. But I really love the maintenance free of BLDC and the efficency... Is the soliton1 only for brushed motors?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I agree the Soliton1 is the way to go, but to narrow it down a bit further it's for series wound DC motors only. I'm not sure if you will find that kind of power in a BLDC motor/controller if that's what you are looking for. If not the 500A Soliton should be out soon from what I've read.

Good luck with your design, what are you converting?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of the 40kw BLDC system from currentevtech.com

3950$ for 20kw nominal and 40kw peak

for a 90 x 60AH cells at 288v nominal

but the soliton seems to be very very good but I am in the RC industry and the brushes is just out of date. Did I mention? I hate the brushes

lol

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I looked hard at a similar system from currentevtech, but decided that the 40kw / 80kw rating just wasn't enough for the goals of my project.
The 80kw version is $5850 and a Soliton1 + Warp 11 HV = ~$6500 so for a bit more money I get a much more proven setup capable of over 3x the power.

I've also talked (emailed/PM'd) the people behind the Soliton1 as well as the guy behind the Warp 11HV, and to me it means a lot for the product when those people are available to contact, not to mention very friendly and helpful. The BLDC from currentevtech could be a great motor, I know Dave was great to talk to and very helpful but even he had problems getting more info about the motor/controller.

However 80kw should be more than enough for a smaller or more reserved conversion. And if that fits the goals then the slight increase in efficiency and benifit of regen make an attractive package. BLDC simply didn't have the power level I was looking for at the price I wanted to pay.

I do hear ya on the brushless systems in RC, I've converted a thunder tiger 4wd buggy from nitro to brushless and it's so much more fun (quiet/clean) to race and bash. I also have a brushless helicopter and I would never go to a brushed system there. But EV's are different and I feel comfortable with a brushed system that will require a lot less time and money than the ICE it's replacing, even if it's not quite as good as BLDC in that respect.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya! I just looked at both setup closely and the Brushed motors seems to be very very vulnerable to rain and snow
which I have here 8 months a year

while the brushless systems (Controller and motor) are rated IP54

here's the link
http://www.barcoding.com/informatio...3881d87e2868&gclid=CL-m44r5_6QCFYNk7Aod4xfmig

Rated 5 for dusts& ingress =
Protected against dust, limited ingress (no harmful deposit)
rated 4 for water exposure =
Protection against water sprayed from all directions – limited ingress permitted

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It looks like you are pretty set with the BLDC, (for good reasons) if you do take the plunge on the combo from currentevtech I'm sure a lot of people here would be very interested in your results.

I was scared away from components with unknown support by Jack R. of EVTV in relation to his high $$ controller that just doesn't work anymore. No support, no parts, not a lot of options. It may not be as "high tech" but I know I can get a series DC motor serviced locally, and from what I've seen sofar the soliton crew stand behind their product 100%.

Good luck, can't wait to see you start a build thread.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
rwaudio +1

The Warp11HV has been proven to provide 378kw (500hp) @ 4500rpm with 270V & 1400A, Which is what a Soliton1 can deliver in Race Mode.

Warp11HV = 3500$
Soliton 1 = 3000$
Total = 6500$

There is no BLDC setup at that power level for that price on the single purchase consumer market at this time...

With the money you saved you could always pay someone to replace your brushes for you... ;)

I am very curious about the BLDC setups offered by Dave, please create a build thread when you start!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not 100% set with the build. I just take the poors and cons and I know the BLDC is not as powerful. I am not looking for power, but reliability. Maintenance free with a unmatch durability.

I know soliton1 has all that. I doupt any brushed motors can handle the winters with the insane amounts of sodium here. Or just survive for 5 seasons unless it is really really well isolated and not mentioning the maintenance of the brushes...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
rwaudio +1

The Warp11HV has been proven to provide 378kw (500hp) @ 4500rpm with 270V & 1400A, Which is what a Soliton1 can deliver in Race Mode.

Warp11HV = 3500$
Soliton 1 = 3000$
Total = 6500$

There is no BLDC setup at that power level for that price on the single purchase consumer market at this time...

With the money you saved you could always pay someone to replace your brushes for you... ;)

I am very curious about the BLDC setups offered by Dave, please create a build thread when you start!

My logic exactly.... and the reason my Warp 11 HV was just delivered!! woohoo she pretty lol.
Sorry back on topic, I plan to install a belly pan on the car with forced air cooling from the top. I don't think rain/snow will be a big issue for my car, but they use gravel here and very seldom use salt. So are cars don't rust as much but our windshields are always chipped/cracked

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Warp11HV = 3500$
Soliton 1 = 3000$
Total = 6500$
Well

BLDC 80KW motor and controller = 5,850$

BLDC 40KW motor and controller = 3,950$

still cheaper than the brush setup? isnt it?
the only major savings I see its the BMS

45 down from 90

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well you could step down the brushed setup to a more comparable power level.

Warp 9 / Soliton 1 = $4700 (~140kw? 100kw has been deemed safer)
Impulse 9 / Soliton 0.5? = $in the ballpark of $3500 (~70kw?)

At the moment DC will get you more power for less money, but that doesn't mean it's "better" it's just the reality of EV conversions right now.

I am going DC because ~270kw was a more attractive option than 80kw in my Porsche for similar money. In the future it should start to go the other way, and the different forms of AC should start to prevail, but that day isn't here and probably won't be for quite some time.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Race mode is cancelled. It will never happen.

It's not worth it + that we'll develop a pure racing controller eventually so we won't waste our time on pushing the limits in the Soliton 1. Besides, even if we'd done it, it would've be a racing option only and nothing for commuting vehicles.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Back to the topic, the controller for a BLDC motor is more like a controller for an AC induction motor than a series wound dc motor.
Here is some explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushless_dc_motor
The soliton can only be used with a series wound dc motor, and possibly a permanent magnet dc brushed motor- but Jeff will have to answer that- I am sure it wasn't tested on a PM motor as they are really hard to find if not impossible in large enough size.
Mike
www.EV-propulsion.com

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Thanks for the update Qer, ok so, 270kw, 362hp, (270V @ 1000A) for 6500$...

What's the race controllers specs, 400V 3000A??? :eek:

The under belly pan as rwaudio mentioned will help keep snow and salt from hitting the motor, these motors are built pretty tough also...

Also, it is possible to build up a kostov-9" to tolerate higher currents and voltage, so it could probably handle 150kw-200kw (guesstimate)...that build up would not cost more than 5000$ W/ Soliton1...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you guys make me laugh... why is everybody looking for 300+ hp cars/trucks?

I know soliton1 combined with some motor will give me 200-300 hp but I am looking for durability & maintenance free. I am looking, in the long run, for a car that will make me save.

for instance, my mistubishi lancer broke down today
I went to be garange for a quote

1200$ of repairs... I gave up on this car as it is my 1st... I was 17!
but the next one will be my little baby

I have a budget of 400$ a month for a vehicule. ICE of not.

$250 of gasoline (500km week)
$100 payments
$50 maintenance

after 150,000 - 200,000km I would like it to cost me only a new battery $5,000-$10,000 for new battery and keep going
keeping the same controller and same motor and wiring... Is that possible at all?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well the point isn't really that YOU need 200-300hp, it was really that for almost the same price you can get 200-300hp, but to have a safe and long lasting EV that you will want to drive for the next 1/2million km, you may want more than 26hp cont. 52hp peak (my opinion not yours). Unless the Lancer weights less than I think (guessing 2600-3000lbs) I would be looking at around 100-130hp peak for a car of that size for a safe, reliable and enjoyable car. For the long term realiability you probably don't want to be pushing your motor to the limit all the time. Just like your battery pack I would be overbuilding slightly just because your goal is long term reliability. Although I'm designing for 300hp, I'm also hoping for sub 275wh/mi when I drive it nicely, everyone is different but my ideal car for the next 1/2million km is something comfortable with the features that I want with enough power to merge on the freeway and cruise at a respectable speed (120km/h).. I also like a torquey engine over a high hp engine, I think the electric should give me exactly that.

I think you are on the right track for long term reliability, but the car still needs maintenance, brakes, tires, wipers, etc. As far as saving, if you are in it for the long term you should come out ahead, but it's not a short term paypack for the type of conversion you are looking at.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I hear ya! I just looked at both setup closely and the Brushed motors seems to be very very vulnerable to rain and snow
which I have here 8 months a year
Just use a S.S. coverband on the intake with a fan forcing air in. See pic below. Comon now... it isn't that bad in Blainville, 8 months?? lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Better yet, go get a used fork lift motor like I did. Less than $200 for bearings and brushes and paint....

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just use a S.S. coverband on the intake with a fan forcing air in. See pic below. Comon now... it isn't that bad in Blainville, 8 months?? lol
When I said 8 months its 8 months of crap in the roads yesturday we got 5 inches of snow...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts