DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, it's official! Junior is alive and kicking!

Right now water cooling is tested and todays test gave 8 seconds of 500 Ampere (ok, 489 if you're picky, but that's what the throttle ordered) before overtemp protection kicked in and current slowly dropped down to 365A. Not good enough so there's obviously some work left, but we'll get there (or rather, they will, I'm still on the wrong continent for that mechanical stuff). :D

The software in Soliton Junior and Soliton 1 are exactly the same, so all the (software) features from Soliton 1 will be available in Junior as well. Software upgrades will also match both so they will continue to share features and characteristics in the future as well.

No, you can't order Junior yet, this is still just a prototype and as I said we still have some things to fix. However, it's getting closer. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Nice! particularly having the same features and software as the bigger brother... (which I have :D:D)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Yes I heard (George) say you guys were finalizing "JR". Please finish so you can start working on "BIG DADDY SOL" :D

Yep, it's official! Junior is alive and kicking!

Right now water cooling is tested and todays test gave 8 seconds of 500 Ampere (ok, 489 if you're picky, but that's what the throttle ordered) before overtemp protection kicked in and current slowly dropped down to 365A. Not good enough so there's obviously some work left, but we'll get there (or rather, they will, I'm still on the wrong continent for that mechanical stuff). :D

The software in Soliton Junior and Soliton 1 are exactly the same, so all the (software) features from Soliton 1 will be available in Junior as well. Software upgrades will also match both so they will continue to share features and characteristics in the future as well.

No, you can't order Junior yet, this is still just a prototype and as I said we still have some things to fix. However, it's getting closer. :cool:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Grattis! But you missed the most important details for a newborn: weight and size, and of course we need a photo :)

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! particularly having the same features and software as the bigger brother... (which I have :D:D)
Well, I'm lazy. The amount of lines in the code to handle the differences is just maybe 10-20 or so out of 5000+ lines total. It's less work to simply let the controllers be as identical as possible, both for me and Tesseract. :cool:

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Grattis! But you missed the most important details for a newborn: weight and size, and of course we need a photo :)
I know I have a shop print around here somewhere, but... as of now I don't remember any of the dimensions. Or the weight. I know it's smaller and lighter than the Soliton1... that probably wasn't too helpful, was it? :D

Well, how about a pic of it connected to our dyno, instead?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
"Soliton Juniors first scream!"

At 500 amps, isn't that more of a whimper? :D

Looks good, thanks for the picture.

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
{{{Nudges JRP3 out of line}}} Series DC technology and programming has already been developed, AC is a whole 'nother can of worms. Big Sol fans unite! :D
{{{Pushes back}}}Larger market for the AC than the Big Sol, and all he has to do is clone Jr. a few times :D Qer might actually have to do some work on it of course ;)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
{{{Pushes back}}}Larger market for the AC than the Big Sol, and all he has to do is clone Jr. a few times :D Qer might actually have to do some work on it of course ;)
{{{Digs heels in, searching for ammo}}} Okay, so what AC is more logical from a business perspective - Big Sol is still cooler! :p:D

I'm just having fun with JRP3 guys. Seriously, congrats on getting Jr out of the womb, and giving it a successful smack on the azz. Where's my cigar? :)

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Qer might actually have to do some work on it of course ;)
Now, there's 2010's biggest understatement.

Yep, an AC controller would mean pretty much building it all from scratch. We can't even keep the same CPU family since the math is so much more complicated so, yeah, it'd be *ahem* "some work on it"... :p

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Dimensions of Junior: 14.75" L x 7.75" W (not including terminal strips or cooling ports) x 5" H (including fans).

Weight? Dunno - still hooked up to the dyno for testing and we haven't made a cover for it so...

At this point the only thing we really need to optimize is the liquid cooling loop, and that's mainly because we went with a different IGBT module that has a different footprint so the cross-drilled passages are almost certainly not in the right place nor of the right diameter.

The enclosure might be slightly changed to accommodate a different type of aluminum stock (bar vs. plate? I dunno - not my forte) and, of course, will eventually be cast. So, the initial units will be billet aluminum, just like was done with the Soliton1.

Electrically, however, it seems to be performing exactly as expected so my part is pretty much over ;)

1 - 20 of 116 Posts