DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I am thinking about buying a Soliton Jr controller for my 144V Ranger with a warp9 motor and LA pack. Anyone have any experience with this controller or Solitron generally?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Hi. I am thinking about buying a Solitorn Jr controller for my 144V Ranger with a warp9 motor and LA pack. Anyone have any experience with this controller or Solitron generally?
Hello, rf. Do some searching. You will find lot of info and feedback. There is a thread devoted to the Soliton development as well as some others. It is a very good controller.

·
Registered
66 Posts
a Solitorn Jr controller for my 144V Ranger with a warp9 motor
in my oppinion the soltron is a very nice controller,and when i build my EV i'll head straight out and buy a soitron1.

but the junior isn't really suited to a warp nine, the warp nine is 144v 1000amps max (if only for a little bit:confused:), and the junior is 300v 500amp(600amp max). so you wont be able to get 100% out of you motor. then again you might not want 100%, or you batteries might not be able to handle it. 600 amps is plenty.

A big up side to the solitron jr is it's high voltage, this means that if in a month time you want a little extra range you can just add a battery or two. You could Increase the battery voltage to say 200v, while keeping the motor voltage at 144v. which means you can get 25% more range. it makes it easier to increase the range without doubling the pack size.

i'd say if you don't want, or cant get any more then 600amps, and you like the idea of being able to add a battery or two to give you a little more range then go with the Jr.

At $2100 its heaps better value then some of the other controllers going around.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in my oppinion the soltron is a very nice controller,and when i build my EV i'll head straight out and buy a soitron1.

but the junior isn't really suited to a warp nine, the warp nine is 144v 1000amps max (if only for a little bit:confused:), and the junior is 300v 500amp(600amp max). so you wont be able to get 100% out of you motor. then again you might not want 100%, or you batteries might not be able to handle it. 600 amps is plenty.

A big up side to the solitron jr is it's high voltage, this means that if in a month time you want a little extra range you can just add a battery or two. You could Increase the battery voltage to say 200v, while keeping the motor voltage at 144v. which means you can get 25% more range. it makes it easier to increase the range without doubling the pack size.

i'd say if you don't want, or cant get any more then 600amps, and you like the idea of being able to add a battery or two to give you a little more range then go with the Jr.

At $2100 its heaps better value then some of the other controllers going around.
Thanks a lot. I didn't think of the higher voltage option. I think I can get one for under $2000. And I don't need the maximum from the motor. Besides I can't afford much more.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Our next conversion would be a Soliton Jr. with a Warp9 motor but LiFePo4 and ~160V. 96kW is quiet great power.
If your "Ranger" is a great pick-up, perhaps you should look at a 11" motor instead of 9".

Please waint until you can spend the extra money and don't get a lead acid pack.
Your other components are just great, so don't make a mistake in buying the wrong battery (my opinion) :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our next conversion would be a Soliton Jr. with a Warp9 motor but LiFePo4 and ~160V. 96kW is quiet great power.
If your "Ranger" is a great pick-up, perhaps you should look at a 11" motor instead of 9".

Please waint until you can spend the extra money and don't get a lead acid pack.
Your other components are just great, so don't make a mistake in buying the wrong battery (my opinion) :)
I think that would be a long wait although I am considering the batteries you suggested and upping the voltage some. I already have the warp 9 and I'm sticking with it. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
perhaps you should look at a 11" motor instead of 9"
you could always make sure there is a little room left at the end of the warp nine, that way you can just tack on another warp nine. i think solitron Jr could handle two warp nines fine.

you can start with the lead acid and when they eventually kark it in say 5 years, you can upgrade to a nice cheep lithium pack, and maybe tack on that second motor.

there are plenty of pick ups using 9"motors and lead acid batteries, and they seam to work, but leave room for upgrades.:D

i was thinking of doing the same with my conversion just going with one warp nine then when i can afford the extra $3000 buy the second one. much to think about before then though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm designing the battery rack now to be easily adapted for lithium. My commute is only 5 miles one way so I am sure I will be happy for a few years at least. By the way I misspelled Soliton like you did. ;) So far I have seen 3 different ways to spell it on one thread thanks to me getting everyone started. :eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
hey everyone,
since this is a Soliton thread I taught I would ask my question here.
This is a bit of a hypothetical question as I have not started a built yet,
but if I were to use 25 lead acid batteries, optima yellow top (or similar 12v battery) would I see any benefit in using Soliton 1 vs Soliton jr.
I guess that is more of a battery question now that I think about it, but would I be able to pull more than 600 amps from such lead acid batteries to make it worth buying a Soliton 1.

thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
hey everyone,
since this is a Soliton thread I taught I would ask my question here.
This is a bit of a hypothetical question as I have not started a built yet,
but if I were to use 25 lead acid batteries, optima yellow top (or similar 12v battery) would I see any benefit in using Soliton 1 vs Soliton jr.
I guess that is more of a battery question now that I think about it, but would I be able to pull more than 600 amps from such lead acid batteries to make it worth buying a Soliton 1.

thanks for any help!
The motor is also a key piece in the decision. But since you would have a high voltage setup you would get 1000 motor amps while only pulling 600 battery amps if you used a 170v Warp motor. If you used a high voltage motor, (250-288v) you would have 1000 motor amps until (motor voltage x motor current) = (battery voltage x battery current) which would happen somewhere in the mid to upper rpm range. So in short the Soliton1 would give you more torque and power than the Jr. even though you would have limited battery current.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The motor is also a key piece in the decision. But since you would have a high voltage setup you would get 1000 motor amps while only pulling 600 battery amps if you used a 170v Warp motor. If you used a high voltage motor, (250-288v) you would have 1000 motor amps until (motor voltage x motor current) = (battery voltage x battery current) which would happen somewhere in the mid to upper rpm range. So in short the Soliton1 would give you more torque and power than the Jr. even though you would have limited battery current.
thanks for the help!
Ok, so lets say I am going to use an 11" Kostov motor (250 v)
I want to mention that I do not understand much of electric vehicles and electricity in general, but wouldn't I be able to pull the same 600amps from the battery pack and get 1000 motor amps just like you described above using the Soliton jr?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
thanks for the help!
Ok, so lets say I am going to use an 11" Kostov motor (250 v)
I want to mention that I do not understand much of electric vehicles and electricity in general, but wouldn't I be able to pull the same 600amps from the battery pack and get 1000 motor amps just like you described above using the Soliton jr?
With the Soliton Jr. you will get 500 motor amps continuous and 600 peak motor amps, the Soliton1 would give you 1000 motor amps for a portion of the rpm range.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i fairly new to this as well but current = torque and if you are using lead acid batteries you might like the extra torque that the soliton 1 can give you, at low speeds.

for an extra $1000 you'd come close to doubling your torque.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts