DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figuring as this is a DIY website im wondering if people are willing to make Ultra-capacitors from scratch i have a few ideas im working on. I have been doing research into Graphene for a while and came across a video that intrigued mehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FXI59p8R7Y Capacitors @ about 6.25 amps per gram. Now they discharge quickly however, so we use them in conjunction with batteries for regeneration reducing the need for a lot of batteries to get further distance. Since Capacitors in general charge and discharge faster than batteries I figure use the Ultra-caps to take charge from regen breaks/solar, dump capacitors into batteries and your off to the races.
Anyway these are just my Ideas, what are your thoughts, think it would work?

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
Supercaps were a good idea about 20 years ago

Since then batteries have become better - and bigger!

Today with a 40 kWh battery and the battery capable of charging and recharging at 5C you have 200 kW of power and 200 kW of re-gen available

Supercaps are now an unnecessary complication and cost

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm very interested in the "RiverSimple" design. It does exactly what you're suggesting. It uses regen to fill up super capacitors and then uses those caps to provide initial acceleration in short bursts. Where I think they've lost the plot is to utilize a hydrogen fuel cell as the main power source.

I feel (in my entirely unqualified opinion) that it would be better to have a 20-30kwh battery on board in conjunction with the supercaps. Let the caps handle initial take off and regen and let the large HVB handle cruising power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utmkddBFUg0

Also, RiverSimple have absolutely got the best car ownership model I've ever heard of. This video really opened my eyes to new ways of looking at manufacturing and ownership.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I'm very interested in the "RiverSimple" design. It does exactly what you're suggesting. It uses regen to fill up super capacitors and then uses those caps to provide initial acceleration in short bursts. Where I think they've lost the plot is to utilize a hydrogen fuel cell as the main power source.
Any hydrogen fuel cell vehicle needs short-term electrical energy storage to be practical - they're hybrids, but fuel cell / battery rather than engine / battery hybrids. That's especially true with the tiny (8.5 kW) fuel cell output in this case. Since the amount of energy to be stored is relatively small and high power is desired, Riversimple chose capacitors; serious manufacturers have all chosen lithium-ion batteries for this purpose.

I feel (in my entirely unqualified opinion) that it would be better to have a 20-30kwh battery on board in conjunction with the supercaps. Let the caps handle initial take off and regen and let the large HVB handle cruising power.
With substantial battery capacity the capacitors become pointless and add unnecessary complication and inefficiency, as Duncan explained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utmkddBFUg0

Also, RiverSimple have absolutely got the best car ownership model I've ever heard of. This video really opened my eyes to new ways of looking at manufacturing and ownership.
I don't have enough patience for 15 minutes of a talking head, but I looked at the RiverSimple website, and it is a maze of marketing fluff to attract investors. There probably is an ownership model in there somewhere...

It is a cute little car, with shockingly little cargo space for a car with in-wheel motors. The "innovative network design" is just nonsense - that's how every hybrid works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts