DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
don't know if an admin issue or one of the hundreds of third parties breaking stuff, but your forum is broke but good.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Not my job to fix... but..

How do you imagine someone could use your post in order to solve a problem?

Examples, symptoms, details, something repeatable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

nah, it is broken so bad, words can't describe it. i.e. try to look at your old posts, have a look in the console,
now remember to do that stuff before you make a change to your site or open gateways for third parties.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I just tried to look at the E fire thread, and could not get past page 50. It looks like there are 52 pages, but I can only navigate to page 50.. This forum is screwed up.

When I navigate to this site on a mobile device, I have to cancel the stupid mobile version thing to see the forum the way it is supposed to be seen as it was before the forum was sold a few years ago.

Where is the chit chat forum? I miss the DIY eclectriccar forum as it was before big business got their hands on it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
nah, it is broken so bad, words can't describe it.
You're ugly and I hate you.

Why?

Just look. You're ugly and I hate you.

How am I supposed to...

I hate you.

I mean, your opinion is valid, it might even be objectively true, but if you're not doing anything constructive about it you're just being a jackass. Why take time out of your day to stop by here, create a thread, insult people, but stop just short of telling them how they could be better? It's like you have vested interest in making sure things stay bad so that you have something to yell about.

I don't know you at all or if that's true, but, that's what your actions seem to indicate.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I notified the forum of a huge screwup, you can fuck right off with your personal attacks.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
don't know if an admin issue or one of the hundreds of third parties breaking stuff, but your forum is broke but good.
That's an entirely non-constructive statement.

Exactly!

nah, it is broken so bad, words can't describe it.
Sure they can - just try...

I just tried to look at the E fire thread, and could not get past page 50. It looks like there are 52 pages, but I can only navigate to page 50.
Now that's closer...

In this case, a characteristic of forums running the vBulletin software seems to be that if the first post to be displayed on a page is missing or corrupted, the forum is unable to display the page. Trying to go the last page of E-Fire '75 Spitfire conversion: 1st build! results in getting page 50, even though the header does show up to page 52. Following the links to page 51 or page 52 lead again to page 50.

Changing my thread display options to show 40 posts per page there appear to be 13 pages (from 481 to 520 posts), and the 13th page displays... but the newest post is #494 from over a year ago, so at least several recent posts are missing.

Just tried to read couple other threads, but this site is broken.
Again, this is entirely useless.

All that I can see is that a substantial number of recent posts are missing.

One example is the E-Fire thread discussed above.

In another example, evmetro started this thread: EV Pickup Truck field is still open, who will do something about it?
The index page indicates 6 replies, but only three display, and they show as #1 through #3 - the original post and first couple of responses have vanished. The post currently displayed as #1 quotes and earlier (and now missing) post; attempting to follow the forum-generated link in that quote results in this error message:
No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
I just checked my own recent posts list, and everything after 2017 July 24 and before today is missing from that list... which should have many entries. It is possible that everything by some or all users over a broad date range is missing. A wild guess at a cause would be restoring an old backup from July 2017) as current content, then having the last day or so of posts add to that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is just one issue I REPORTED!!!! , who the hell knows what else is broken
i.e. try to look at your old posts, have a look in the console,
And here is the root cause, they monetize the crap out of this site and are having major quality issues.
now remember to do that stuff before you make a change to your site or open gateways for third parties.
So, fuck you making it personal too Brian. Really, talk about jack asses. It is THEIR job, not mine. I don't make shit.

·
Administrator
6,141 Posts
I don't agree with steveob's attitude

But yes some threads are screwed up

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forum...dubious-device-44370p18.html?highlight=duncan

Is missing about the last years worth of content

And when I look at "Find All Posts by Duncan" - there is one today, one yesterday
And then a years gap

When I do the same with "Brian" it's the same pattern
there is one today, one yesterday
And then a years gap

If I do that with Matt Awsome - there are only 4 posts listed - ever!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My E-Fire thread is definitely broken- can't get past page 50 and there are 52 pages. It's a straightforward problem with the forum software, and the admin needs to get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It's a straightforward problem with the forum software, and the admin needs to get it fixed.
Did I sign up during a promo time where it was free and some of the rest of you have to pay to be here?

Or is this forum still run on volunteer time and donated bandwidth?

I've noticed some threads that are a little wonky yeah, I just don't get the attitude some people are showing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you "pay" for it by contributing useful content, which they then monetize. Now that content has been erased. Why is it hard for you to understand what a major screwup this is?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
you "pay" for it by contributing useful content, which they then monetize.
Really? How many forums in the history of ever, have turned a profit?

If forums were a moneymaker they wouldn't have been phased out over the last 10 years.

The entitlement here is out of control.

I mean it's clear a few people are personally motivated here into attacking others they don't like, and technical issues are just the axe they're grinding to get to that end.

A little ad revenue helps defray the expense, that's about all.

Why is it hard for you to understand what a major screwup this is?
Why are you so focused on blame and fault? It's like you're getting yourself off to the thought that you've finally found a reason to blame someone you already don't like. It's immediately personal. It's like you're jumping for joy that you found a good reason to nitpick someone, your day has come!

Yeah, a few things are busted, database seems a bit glitchy. Forum software is glitchy. Sometimes seamless upgrades and patches mess other things up. I have not been on a forum in the last 15 years that didn't have at least a few episodes like this.

Yes, there's some problems and they've been reported, it's not a personal affront to your genius.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Again, you decide not to address the issue, and make it about me. I don't think you understand much of anything, so save your preaching. So far you are the one initiating personal attacks.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Again, you decide not to address the issue, and make it about me.
As someone who's helped run forums before... How likely is someone to want to take time out of their day to help you, when you, someone who paid nothing to get in, stomp your foot and insult people and make demands on a free forum about what you're entitled to?

The way you're treating the admins is an issue. With people like you around I wouldn't be motivated to fixing anything.

And, while I'd "address" the technical issues if I could, as you seem to expect me to, I'm not an administrator, sorry.

Being an admin or a mod is often a literally thankless job. You do 99 things right no one cares or notices, you do one thing wrong people are at your throat. I certainly wouldn't want the people who keep this place running to think that we all share your attitude towards them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I tried to look at the first unread posts and they are all compressed together so that I cannot read anything. It is just blue lines.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As someone who's helped run forums before...
Again, you don't know what you are talking about, take a look at the console and the network tab and do a refresh (and if you don't know what that means then figure it out). This forum probably never should have been commercialized, seeing how $3/mo would have kept it running without all the monetization crap. But it was, and I'm sure they do make a profit, based on the free contributions of the members.

I do software, this is beyond ridiculous for a company to do and pretend they have any business doing it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts