DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I thought I would start a thread on my build.

I started about a year ago.

My reason for a MEV sonic 7 was it was a kit so i had a fresh canvas to fit everything into.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So that photo was after a lot of hard work.

I ordered the Kit from a company in Perth in 2013 which took about 10 months for chassis to get made up and modified to meet Australian regulations.

Basically and open roadster 2 seat Chassis weighs approx 130 Kg it has a lot more bracing than the original from the UK.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So first order was shopping list:

motor HPEV ACx35 twin
Battery Winston 46 x 160 Ah
Diff BMW E-30 LSD ratio to change

first job was to try and mount and fit everything in the Chassis.

and come up with a bullet prove coupling.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the top of photo is to the rear I welded up battery frames out of 50 x 25 mm 2mm RHS. BMS installed and poly carbonate lid to hold every thing down. I use 2mm so I could tap a thread for lid stainless screws.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Evsonic
looks great
I have a "cut price" version - Duncan's Dubious Device"
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forum...-dubious-device-44370p8.html?highlight=duncan

I worry about your motor - diff coupling
The diff and motor will move at least a little bit relative to each other
I used a propshaft - its only about 300mm long but that means that when the diff and motor move the misalignment is OK
The thread is behind the build I ended up using a spline cushion coupling it's 3 parts 1 for motor 1 nylon spider in the middle and 1 for the diff it's good for 380 nm and 1 to 1.5 mm of misalignment.

Thanks for comments your build looks great.

Cheers Conrad

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I thought I would post some more build Pictures, Any comments welcome I'm not sure I'm on a winner or not.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As you can see the steering wheel was low I had to move it up and change mounts due to using seats with extra padding.

The large orange conduct is for the battery pack 50 mm2 wire there was about 20KG in this wire.

Cheers

·
Registered
600 Posts
very cool project. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
here is a fire up video after 3 months of mucking around. I had a curtis hand hand programmer and was trying to program electronic throttle and zapped the VCL program. Too much power in a newbie and no idea:mad:
Lucky I got taking to Micheal EV West and he helped me out I sent the controllers back to him and he got them re-programmed for free thanks heaps mate AWESOME :D

So video you can hear the coupling mark 1 model it was the original BMW tail shaft UNI with a a collar welded in the end to fit the 1 1/8" motor shaft.

Revving to 8500 rpm in under .4 of a second.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here is a teaser video

I was sorting out Diff ratios trying to work out good acceleration and top speed.

In my excitement I left the hand brake on, and the Diff was shipped from Perth didn't check the oil level it was out of a wreck.

Anyway Ratio is 4.44:1

Enjoy I totally F*&ked the Diff BTW :cool:

Cheers

·
Administrator
6,158 Posts
Looks like fun
I had everybody saying how quiet mine was - on the inside with no sound deadening at all it was not that quiet

I only wear a helmet when I'm on the track - or it's raining otherwise just sunnies

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Duncan we were hitting 135kph just before the Diff let go thank god it wasn't on the straight could have been a wee bit messy.:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Guys

As always was the hope was for less than 600 Kg but it ended up around 790Kg, if I blew some $$$ I could get 20 Kg off with lighter wheels.
The split is about 480Kg on the rear and the rest on the front so when it breaks traction that's lots of torque more than 1000 ft/lb at the wheels. I turned down the Accl rate to stop this. Also can get the front wheels off the ground if I give it.:)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts