DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I've converted a Porsche 356 Speedster and another vehicle (Essex 1928).
Now I want to build a sound module with the original motor sounds.
My collegue is a sound engineer who would take all the sounds from an existing vehicle.
So my idea was to take the CAN-BUS signal from the inverter sending the motor speed and take that to generate the sound regarding to the motor speed.
I plan to use a µC with a CAN module.
Anyone has experience with this?

Cheers

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I would spend considerable effort digging out this sort of feature to disable it on my own vehicle, but to each their own...

To be realistic, engine sound needs to respond to both speed and load. Both are available in an engine-driven vehicle from OBD-II in some form; in the EV both motor speed and something looking like load (motor current) should be available. The load dependence is not just volume - an engine under high load sounds different - not just louder - than one under light load.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I fixed up a 2006 Trailblazer (it was bought to be a conversion designee with a dead engine, but I got it running after spending $8, lol...that keeps happening with cars/bikes I buy), which I sold at my cost to my daughter a few weeks ago...pretty quiet when running.

First handover, she held the key in start after the engine was running, grinding on the flexplate ring gear 🤬 ...it has autostart at the mere tap of the key on "start".

Wimmin...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there,

I've converted a Porsche 356 Speedster and another vehicle (Essex 1928).
Now I want to build a sound module with the original motor sounds.
My collegue is a sound engineer who would take all the sounds from an existing vehicle.
So my idea was to take the CAN-BUS signal from the inverter sending the motor speed and take that to generate the sound regarding to the motor speed.
I plan to use a µC with a CAN module.
Anyone has experience with this?

Cheers
I installed the Sound Booster Pro from KUFATEC. It is controlled by three CAN signals: RPM, load and speed. For load the trottle pedal signal can be used, speed is easy, but for the RPM you need a program that simulates the gear shifting. In my case I simulate a 4 speed automatic transmission.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
^^ nice!

Just a matter of time before the Open Source community 3D prints one of these and does the electronics. $1600 is an incentive for that to happen, isn't it?

Meanwhile, do they publish the CAN codes to run the Kufatec box or is it plug and pray for specific car models?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed the Sound Booster Pro from KUFATEC. It is controlled by three CAN signals: RPM, load and speed. For load the trottle pedal signal can be used, speed is easy, but for the RPM you need a program that simulates the gear shifting. In my case I simulate a 4 speed automatic transmission.
Sound files cannot be uploaded, but there is software that can be used to change the sound. 6 profiles can be saved. Many car types can be selected, then it's plug and play. There is also a universal EV car to choose from, with known CAN messages. The basic price is 1000 €, with one outdoor speaker. It's waterproof, can be mounted under the car and can make to roar out from the original exhaust pipe. For 500 € more you can build a two-pipe system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The technician from Kufatec sent this to me, but I think the m/h are wrong, because that would only go up to 65 km/h.
I also tried the electric car version, but the switching points weren't to my taste. I also have the option of running the tachometer with my own program.

Sound - YouTube

Use 0x776 on gasoline engine and
Use 0x777 for electric car

Do not use both id's at the same time.

0x776:
byte 0,1 = speed of car in m/h
byte[0] = (speed) >> 8
byte[1] = (speed) & 0xFF

byte 2,3 = engine rpm.
byte[2] = rpm >> 8;
byte[3] = rpm & 0xff;

byte 4 = throttle 0..100%

0x777:
len = 8

byte 0 : clampState
0x00 = Ignition Off
0x01 = Ignition On

byte 1,2 : speed of car in m/h
byte[1] = (speed) >> 8
byte[2] = (speed) & 0xFF

byte 3 : throttle 0..100%

byte 4 : Transmission-State:
0x00 = P
0x01 = R
0x02 = N
0x03 = D

·
Registered
1962 Chevrolet Corvair Loadside pickup truck - still ICE
3 Posts
balex97, I love this idea! I'd love to be able to play the correct sounds for the donor car, but it would be fun to switch the sounds to almost anything else - Ferarri, Hemi 'Cuda, Space Shuttle - whatever suits your mood that day!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts