DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be speaking about EV conversions next month at the world's largest hacker convention.

If you have photos, videos, tools, or products you'd like to authorize me to share/show off, please PM or email me, or leave a link in this thread.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I'll be speaking about EV conversions next month at the world's largest hacker convention.

If you have photos, videos, tools, or products you'd like to authorize me to share/show off, please PM or email me, or leave a link in this thread.
So be a bit more specific on what you're going to say and be sure you get video and audio of your speech.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'll mostly be a general how to. Basic concepts, basic parts, etc. Extra emphasis on custom ways to make it cheaper, Open Revolt etc. Hackers love open source stuff. Also I'll throw in some vids of high performance EVs to keep 'em entertained.

I'm open to suggestions though, I could talk for hours on stuff, but I really want to present the best of what we have to offer.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Extra emphasis on custom ways to make it cheaper, Open Revolt etc. Hackers love open source stuff.
I have always been up on getting things lower in cost but in reality doing a GOOD conversion will NOT be cheap. On my blog I outlined a situation that could be found to be pretty much how most will look at building a conversion.

My 66 Bugs value is at this time like $1500.
I have a transmission that will make it better but it cost $1200. If I went with stock it would not be as good.
I have a brake system that was another $1200 and it is an important upgrade.
I have a controller that was only $1600 when new.
I have used Lithium cells that totaled $3600.

There are plenty of other items you would need and those would easily add another couple grand.

This assumes your car is in order. If not it will cost more.

Sure you could do a bit better but not totally. I saved a crap load by buying used Lithium Cells.

So when you talk about conversions be real and be honest about the true costs. In the end they will be better than gas but no project gas or electric will be an expensive endeavor.

It is a good thing to want things cheap but to what end. I have seen really crappy and really good conversions and all are expensive. Expensive is a relative issue too. For some my conversion is real expensive and for others like me the kind of conversions Rickard does are real expensive. Now, I did buy a Leaf but was able only because of my job and the fact that the vehicle had a rebate and I could buy it over time. No expensive up front costs.

This is reality. Your car is an example. What did you spend on the car, it's repairs and the electric kit and batteries? Not exactly a $2k conversion which is what many want. Even at that there will be those who think even $1500 is expensive and will think it can be done.

After two conversions and one in current conversion mode right now I can assure you there are no CHEAP conversions.

Pete :)

What's cheap? What's realistic?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I should say the focus is more custom than cheap. Also I said cheaper, not cheap :) If I had known about Open Revolt and chargers etc before I started it would have taken longer to convert my car, but I could have saved up a little more and gone with an entry level lithium pack.

·
Registered
838 Posts
You can talk about fighting the evil big oil company instead of Microsoft... Look into how the oil companies are using the money they make to buy governments and control prices. Plus keep people dependent on one fuel.

Hackers love control and making their own choices. Not being a pawn in some international corporate game where they are losing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts