DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a unique 5kVA Pure Sine Wave Inverter.
It was originally designed for using a Toyota Prius battery as a Power Plant.
A Prius Gen 2 produces 80kW and a Gen 3 produces 103kW
Anyways, I didn’t purchase it for use off a Prius but just a 220V electric car battery.
Used it once to power the sound equipment of a beach rock concert. It worked flawlessly. Even the band members said they never had such clean power.
You’ll notice it has has a huge Toroid Transformer and these are known to be up to 98% efficient and last for a lifetime. So this is the real deal pure sine wave inverter and not like the all electronic sine wave inverters that are known to blow quite easily.
Anyways, though I would also list it here since it can be used on electric cars for mobile power or emergency power needs.
The company also made a smaller 3kVA model but this one is the 5kVA model.
We paid over $3k and asking $1.4k
Can be used on any battery with a voltage from 150V to 220V
The unit measures 12” wide x 22” deep x 22” high (with casters) and its weight is 95 pounds.
Come with 25 foot long cable with Anderson connector
Item is located in Vista CA 92083
You pay for shipping cost if you want it shipped to you.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
so.... you are saying this can accept input DC voltage 120vDC-220vDC, but I don't see that on the sticker. I am a little surprised since modern mfg EVs are all at 300vDC battery packs; so this really will only be useful for the DIY EV people who build relatively low voltage packs, most likely 120v-160vDC for DC motors.

Secondly, looks like this inverter mfg date was 2013, likely past any warranty for a transformer based inverter, especially to a second owner, so I just wanted to wish you well in getting more than $1000 for it since brand new solar inverter would do the same thing for $2500 or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi, what I wrote was “Can be used on any battery with a voltage from 150V to 220V” and not what you wrote.
It’s a specialized item designed for Prius owners to use their car as a home backup or mobile remote power needs. So it’s not competing with your average inverters. It weight is 95 pounds, over 60% of that weight is the huge Toroid Transformer. Not many inverters are built this heavy duty way.
Here’s the label pic once again. The LF 150-220 is indirectly indicating the DC input range.
If it was sold with a warranty it would go for more.
EDITED asking price is $1400 and not $2500

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hmm, that is an interesting piece of hardware. It would be a cool way to make my DIY electric into an off-grid behemoth, but at present I cant really justify it. Also, I looked up the company website, and the price you are asking is not far off a new unit:

Announcement October 2020: PlugOut Prices made public - PlugOut 3kw v4 for $2390, PlugOut5kw v4 for $2790.
Plus Shipping and Cable Install [approx $300-500]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, a very unique item.

I’m selling this for the owner who told me he paid $5k and to sell for half price. The asking price should be half of the new price.
So revised asking price is $1400
Thanks for finding the current listed price.
Big difference in size with the 3kVA model which looks to be half the size of the 5kVA.
Regards

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I have been in conversation w the mfg of the Converdant units. The 2013 Converdant units were designed for the Prius pack voltage range at 203vDC nominal [185-240v] .... so this specific unit will only work well if the battery pack is 200vDC nominal.

Just thought I'd post this.... I was really interested, but it won't work for either my eMiata at 156vDC or my soon-to-arrive Mach-e at 300+vDC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been in conversation w the mfg of the Converdant units. The 2013 Converdant units were designed for the Prius pack voltage range at 203vDC nominal [185-240v] .... so this specific unit will only work well if the battery pack is 200vDC nominal.

Just thought I'd post this.... I was really interested, but it won't work for either my eMiata at 156vDC or my soon-to-arrive Mach-e at 300+vDC
Thanks for your helpful update

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts