DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Sport EV Car From Scratch.

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jk1981 
#1 ·
  • My skill level with mechanics and fabrication is almost good.
  • The range i´m hoping to get it´s about 150 miles. Great acceleration, Velocity, at least 100 miles/hour, and good looking.​
All recommendations and design assistance, you can share me, will be useful to start the project...!!

#2 ·
Hi Crost

There is a ton of work in building from scratch,

I would suggest - look up LOCOST - lotus 7 type machine or
look at the various Kit cars available - some are very god looking

I am building a sports car but with lower expectations

The range i´m hoping to get it´s about 150 miles.
That was my initial design - doable but i am going for 50 miles - reason $4,000 of batteries versus $12,000

Great acceleration, - I hope to be at my tire limits

Velocity, at least 100 miles/hour, - I haven't driven past 130Kph in years so that my aim

and good looking.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but my car is probably going to be butt ugly

#3 ·
Hello Crost.

Have a look around http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/ if you haven't already for information and inspiration on the car build part. The key will be achieving very low weight (something the locost guys do well) and good aerodynamics (might be better getting some aero books or looking into sportscar/LMP racing designs).

On the electrical side it seems your aims are quite high given the current state of technology and assuming you have a limited budget. That said, with enough money mostly going on battery pack it doesn't look ridiculous. It's also worth considering that it'll likely take a couple of years to get a rolling car ready for cells, by that time there will have been further improvements in capacity and power output (or price at the same spec). Leave yourself room in the design for cells you've not found yet, don't wrap it tightly around currently available parts. The EV parts aren't likely to go up in price or down in performance while you're building so after picking some likely candidates for the EV parts to design around (loosely) I'd focus on the car to begin with.

A series hybrid with LiPO for burst power and a small ICE for cruise and charge could be a neat solution. All depends what you're after really.

Good luck, I'm slowly coming round to a very similar plan myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.