DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally made the decision to build an all electric vehicle.

I chose a 1971 VW Bug Convertible. I bought a refurbished chassis off of
ebay which had the pans replaced, new cables, new bushings , air ride suspension and rebuilt freeway flyer transmission.

Body does not look like much and my son-in-law has enrolled at the local tech school to learn how to repair.

Looking at using the EVnetics Soliton 1 controller. Still deciding upon motor/adapter combination.

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
Sounds like a good start to a project, a fairly sound Bug and everything else built up around a Soliton!:D

At least there is plenty of Bugs to get ideas from for motors and pack location.
:)

Don't forget photos.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I have been giving some serious thought to Kostov 9" or 10" motor. The Kostov 10" motor is shorter and about 15 pounds lighter.
The Kostov 9" motor goes up to 220 volts and works with the new Soliton Jr controller.

In the meantime, I found a brand new flyweel on ebay this weekend to go along with the rebuilt freeway flyer transmission that is on the 1971 VW Bug for under $60.00.

The bad news is that I am still trying to get the title from the guy that I bought it from. So far, 4 months and no title. Looks like I may have to go to court to get title. Ugh!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Look at the garage for ideas. There's a new build underway here and I think his name is Corbin. A 9 inch motor should be plenty for that car. Corbin and I are both using Warp Drive controllers.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43767&highlight=corbin
Yup -- that's me! I'm using the Warp9, which barely fits in the car.

Definitely check out my blog -- I went over a lot of my decision processes there. I initially considered the soliton -- but there wasn't a Jr option out at that time, and the Warp Drive Controller looked nice and was a bit cheaper.

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/category/electric-bug/

I'm running 154 volts nominal with 200ah cells.

A Kostov 10" that is shorter than the Warp9 would probably work out great. I should have investigated that option; the Warp is just so popular and easy to get, which is why I went with it.

I'm hoping to have my car running within a few weeks (depending on what I end up missing or needing).

corbin

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Another motor you might consider is the Impulse 9 as it is a shorter 9 inch motor from NetGain (who make the Warp motors.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out that EVnetics is the North American distributor for Kostov Motors. According to Sebastien Bourgeois at EVnetics, whoever sells the Soliton 1 or Soliton Jr controller also has access to Kostov motors, they may just not know it.

So...forging ahead. Ordered new flywheel this weekend off of ebay for bug. Headed to junkyard that specializes in VW Bugs today seeing what I can find.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a bunch of reading and looking, I have decided to go with the adapter from RebirthAuto.

Has anyone had any issues with their adapter for the Porsche 914/air cooled VW?

I think the RebirthAuto adapter along with the Kostov Motor will give me the best combination at this point. Add the EVnetics Soliton1 controller to the mix and I think I have a good start.

·
Registered
405 Posts
After a bunch of reading and looking, I have decided to go with the adapter from RebirthAuto.

Has anyone had any issues with their adapter for the Porsche 914/air cooled VW?

I think the RebirthAuto adapter along with the Kostov Motor will give me the best combination at this point. Add the EVnetics Soliton1 controller to the mix and I think I have a good start.
The RibirthAuto adapter is one of the nicest looking ones around. I'm sure you'll be happy with that one!

corbin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts