DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
;) Well after dreaming of building an EV for years I finally found a good donor vehicle, A 91 Mazda B2200 pickup purchased for $600 with a seized engine. I started the process of removing the engine yesterday which was pretty exciting!
Ive been a mechanic for over 20 years and am pretty good at fabricating, etc. Should be fun!

I'm thinking a 144 volt system with LiFePh4 batteries and a WarP 9" motor. Not sure about which controller or charger to use yet. Will post some pics and maybe a video soon!

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
sounds fab!

I am curious to hear more about how 'complete' you find Gav's videos to be. I haven't seen them, and know that there were a lot of little specific info bits missing from the older books I started with. This forum proved very helpful. There will still be some decisions along the way regarding schematics, dc-dc versus aux battery, effective main circuit breaker, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also recommend the book "Build Your Own Electric Vehicle" by Seth Leitman and Bob Brant which I have read most of as well. An excellent book!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Welcome to the B Series club... :D:D. My thread may be of some help, since I did a 97 B4000. If I can help, just shoot me a message.

Cheers,
Gary

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! What type of batteries, system voltage, and motor are you using? Also what type of controller and charger.

So there is a B series club? Is it just for B series converted to EV?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome job! Nice work rebuilding the motor. So you built the adapter plate from scratch? How did you go about it?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Awesome job! Nice work rebuilding the motor. So you built the adapter plate from scratch? How did you go about it?
When you separate the trans from the motor you will have a sheetmetal spacer. You can use this to layout your template on some paper. You'll need to find the centre point where the input shaft goes. This is one of the most important steps. If I recall, you can draw a line between some of the mount holes and it gives you this point. I just centre punched this spot and used my digital calipers to scribe a circle. You can use transfer punches to get the center of the holes if you have some. I just used a jig saw to cut out the shape in aluminum plate. It takes a while,... but it works. Drill press for the holes. I think I still have the template. There is a steel insert in the two side holes. You'll need a larger drill bit for these.
I can likely dig out my template and take a pic of it if you like.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
My stencil looks like this....

IF you draw a line between the centre points of the two main mount holes (the ones that have the steel guide pins...with through hole)...then measure to the exact mid point... this is the centre of your trans input shaft location.... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't think about using the metal plate between the engine and tranny. Great suggestion. Can't wait to pull the engine/tranny so I can start working on the plate.

So you used a jigsaw to cut your AP? Must have taken quite a while! Thanks again for the pics and info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts