DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We are starting a new conversion off BMW X5 1999-2006 (E53).

We plan to reuse as much as possible of our E46 conversion designs (http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/starting-new-build-bmw-3-series-59664.html). I expect we will be able to reuse 80% of the R&D that went into E46.

Our target parameters:
1. 0-60: <7 sec
2. Range: 80 miles base, with potential expansion to 150 miles with an under-body battery pan.

Tentative configuration:
1. Netgain 11HV
2. 1000A+ controller
3. 320-360VDC nominal 100AH pack for a base version (80 mile range)
4. EMW 10kW charger (http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/10kw-60a-diy-charger-open-source-59210.html, http://www.emotorwerks.com/cgi-bin/VMcharger.pl)
5. EMW EV Dashboard (http://www.emotorwerks.com/emw3/product/ev-dashboard-by-emw-basic-edition/)

If any of you have any experience with SUVs conversions, esp. BMW X5s - please comment!!

It will also be our first conversion with auto transmission so if you have some experience with that, please chime in, as well. As of now, we are planning to idle the motor and use the rear shaft of the motor to run all the original accessories (except alternator, that is ;-).

We just acquired a 2003 donor (pics attached) so the game is on ;-)

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
V

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
watching with intent, this will be awesome when finished, I vote X6 for the next conversion, then the X6 will actually be worth driving, coz otherwise it's the most useless 4x4 on the road

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
watching with intent, this will be awesome when finished, I vote X6 for the next conversion, then the X6 will actually be worth driving, coz otherwise it's the most useless 4x4 on the road
;-)) probably not as installed base of X6 is virtually non-existent. X5 were selling ~40k/year only in the US...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Any updates and/or new photos of this conversion? I cant wait to hear about the performance figures!!! What do you hope to achieve in terms of 0-60 mph, and with what motor and controller?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3.0i

tons of space under hood.

no photos yet as we are in design / planning stage.

here's what's shaking up:
* base version will have 100 100AH cells for 80 mile range. Same drivetrain as in our e46 units - 11HV + Soliton1 (for now)
* optional under-body pack with ~100 additional cells (fill in fuel tank wells + one 3" layer below the body). Shocks will be raised by 1.5-2" to accommodate. Additional 60-70 miles of range (not linear due to weight)
* optional hitch-mounted range extender (20hp motorcycle 4-cycle engine mated to a small DC motor)

We expect 0-60 in 8 sec with Soliton1, 6 sec with our upcoming controller.

V

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any updates on this conversion?
Hi Merlin - getting parts made now. Will def update when we start the actual conversion. Needs to happen soon - I am feeling guilty every time I have to take it to haul some bulky stuff for 10 miles...

·
Registered
12 Posts
would be interested in hearing how you go with your auto transmission.
even though your SUV is a lot bigger than mine id imagine the issues are largely the same.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi All,

We are starting a new conversion off BMW X5 1999-2006 (E53).

If any of you have any experience with SUVs conversions, esp. BMW X5s - please comment!!

It will also be our first conversion with auto transmission so if you have some experience with that, please chime in, as well. As of now, we are planning to idle the motor and use the rear shaft of the motor to run all the original accessories (except alternator, that is ;-).

We just acquired a 2003 donor (pics attached) so the game is on ;-)

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
V
Have you seen what Jack Rickard and Brian Noto from evtv.me have been doing with the Cadallac Escalade SUV?

I look forward to the progress of the X5 conversion. They are a nice SUV.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks All for your comments. We are getting closer - the battery boxes are getting made now. BLDC motor and controller are on the way, as well. We will try both 11HV and a 55kW BLDC motor and see what we like more

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The chinese one from the scottdrive thread. (so 220kw peak)
Very cool, can't wait to see the results of both drive systems compared to each other.

Val, you should document and post the comparisons tests...

Example Tests:
(1) Acceleration
a. 0-60mph
b. 30-80mph
etc.
(2) Efficiency
a. wh/mile
b. cruising/rolling (DC) vs. regen braking (BLDC)
etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great work Valery, keep pushing.
Any progress on the electronics front? Spoofing the ECU or sending your own CAN messages? The devil is in those minor details......

P.S. Already bought your Android display kit. Nice product. I think I will be upgrading my charger to your design soon!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great work Valery, keep pushing.
Any progress on the electronics front? Spoofing the ECU or sending your own CAN messages? The devil is in those minor details......

P.S. Already bought your Android display kit. Nice product. I think I will be upgrading my charger to your design soon!
Hi Bruce - sorry missed you msg. Haven't finished the electronic part yet but already have our EV Dash Deluxe communicating via CAN to the vehicle. Just need to program the BMW codes for everything (easier said than done but we will get there). Fully agree these are the details people care about.

Glad you like our EV Dash. More to come soon.

Thanks,
Valery

1 - 20 of 21 Posts