DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Has anybody have heard about motor / transmission static discharge? That you must somehow divide motor from transmission with non conductive material to avoid static discharge?

For my mind it is quite impossible - if you put something between 2 adaptor plates, screws anyway will be conductive.

But does this is an issue?

·
Registered
514 Posts
It happens yes.

Some Model Helicopters have this problem. Some of the RC chopper belt drives accumulate enough energy to eventuelly strike with such a high energy discharge that the receiver / control electronics fail / reset.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Some Model Helicopters have this problem. Some of the RC chopper belt drives accumulate enough energy to eventuelly strike with such a high energy discharge that the receiver / control electronics fail / reset.
That's because a rubber belt drive creates a Van de Graaff generator [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graaff_generator]

Full-sized helicopters have a different problem with building up a potential to ground. It's an unrelated effect.

The only reason I can think of to isolate the motor is if it's an unusual type where the case is 'live'. If there really is a static build-up issue, you definitely want the case bonded (w/ a 'ground strap') to the car body.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
AC Propulsion electrically isolates their motor from the transmission. I heard this was for safety and to fight EM noise.
Hello!

Has anybody have heard about motor / transmission static discharge? That you must somehow divide motor from transmission with non conductive material to avoid static discharge?

For my mind it is quite impossible - if you put something between 2 adaptor plates, screws anyway will be conductive.

But does this is an issue?

·
Registered
312 Posts
AC Propulsion electrically isolates their motor from the transmission. I heard this was for safety and to fight EM noise.
Most probably they had a problem with recirculating current in the rotor, which can be a problem. It was discussed in another post in this forum. Isolation seems a bit extreme (rather like belts and braces...)

Dawid

1 - 6 of 6 Posts