DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I’m currently planning my ev conversion Donor car:Toyota GT86 / Scion FR-S/ Subaru BRZ platform
Motor: Tesla rear drive unit
Batteries: LG Chem 60v 12 or 14 packs depending on space and availability.
Process: car will be stripped down roll cage build with reinforment on trunk bottom area (currently where the differential is located and custom motor mounts, batterie will be located on the engine bay, transmisión tunnel and gas tank location.
This will be my first ev and was looking into the conversion kits from Stealth EV
Questions:
1 Has anybody used this kit and what are your feedback?
2 What does thei package include?
3 what additional or miscellaneous I would need that are not included in their kit.
4 what’s their Interface for gauge clusters etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If you're asking for help, make it as easy to help you as possible.

... like, I'm not going to google the company, search for the kit, try to find out which one you're talking about, etc.

And some of these questions are best answered by the company. Generally no one here does kits, as a kit is just someone buying for you and then raising the price. Probably no one here is going to give good advice on the contents of some kit.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
It would be interesting to see a BRZ/FR-S/86 build. It's a small car for a Tesla drive unit, so I assume that this would be the small drive unit (from an AWD Model S).

The Tesla Model S/X drive units were used in vehicles with 14 or 16 of Tesla's 6S (six cells in series) modules, for a total of 84 or 96 cells in series. The LG Chem modules are 16S, so 5 or 6 of those modules in series, or any multiple of 5 or 6 in parallel strings of 5 or 6 each, would make sense. That means 10 or 12 modules... how would you use 14 modules? Two strings of 7 each would have a nominal voltage of 420 V, and up to 467 V fully charged, which is probably too much for the Tesla components. Not that I can image stuffing 14 modules (at 12 litres of volume and 17 kg of mass each) into this body without using the rear seat or trunk areas.

I agree with Matt's remarks about the questions regarding kits.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're asking for help, make it as easy to help you as possible.

... like, I'm not going to google the company, search for the kit, try to find out which one you're talking about, etc.

And some of these questions are best answered by the company. Generally no one here does kits, as a kit is just someone buying for you and then raising the price. Probably no one here is going to give good advice on the contents of some kit.
Agreed, I’m currently talking to the supplier for more detail , just wanted to see is someone here have used it before, regarding the kit is my first builds and ev’s (even Tesla’s) are not very popular here so I have to outsource all of the components and is easier for me just having one point of contact.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Agreed, I’m currently talking to the supplier for more detail , just wanted to see is someone here have used it before...
But what's "it"? Members such as Matt and myself are not going to investigate a supplier's product line, and even someone who has used one of their kits may not have used the same kit, so why not just specifically name - and preferably link (to the specific Stealth EV web page) the kit which you are considering?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be interesting to see a BRZ/FR-S/86 build. It's a small car for a Tesla drive unit, so I assume that this would be the small drive unit (from an AWD Model S).

The Tesla Model S/X drive units were used in vehicles with 14 or 16 of Tesla's 6S (six cells in series) modules, for a total of 84 or 96 cells in series. The LG Chem modules are 16S, so 5 or 6 of those modules in series, or any multiple of 5 or 6 in parallel strings of 5 or 6 each, would make sense. That means 10 or 12 modules... how would you use 14 modules? Two strings of 7 each would have a nominal voltage of 420 V, and up to 467 V fully charged, which is probably too much for the Tesla components. Not that I can image stuffing 14 modules (at 12 litres of volume and 17 kg of mass each) into this body without using the rear seat or trunk areas.

I agree with Matt's remarks about the questions regarding kits.
Well it would be using the Tesla drive unit and yes you are completely correct it would be 10 to 12 cells, basically te motor would go in place of their rear differential attached to the structure of the boys and roll cage a the drive shots would be cut and machine to accept the Gt86 rotor, the trasmitían tunnel will be sealed a the bottom using steel plate and open from top in order to make it taller and wider to put battery packs on there, also the gas tank is underneath the back seat and is a saddle style so same as the transmission tunnel will be sealed from the bottom and open on top, back seat would sit on top of it but most certainly it will be removed, on the engine bay even is a small motor a battery box could fill probably 5 or 6 modules, this setting provides the same weight and 50 50 weight distribution from a factory gt86

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
... this setting provides the same weight and 50 50 weight distribution from a factory gt86
The GT86 does not have 50:50 weight distribution stock and empty (it is front-heavy because the engine and transmission are too far forward), but with the drive unit and some battery in the back perhaps you could get 50:50 in the conversion. That's one reason that a GT86 conversion would be interesting to see. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But what's "it"? Members such as Matt and myself are not going to investigate a supplier's product line, and even someone who has used one of their kits may not have used the same kit, so why not just specifically name - and preferably link (to the specific Stealth EV web page) the kit which you are considering?
Sorry for the misunderstanding
Here’s the link to the product :

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The GT86 does not have 50:50 weight distribution stock and empty (it is front-heavy because the engine and transmission are too far forward), but with the drive unit and some battery in the back perhaps you could get 50:50 in the conversion. That's one reason that a GT86 conversion would be interesting to see. :)
And at a weight of around 2,900 lbs the weight to power ratio is amazing !!!

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
... the trasmitían tunnel will be sealed a the bottom using steel plate and open from top in order to make it taller and wider to put battery packs on there...
That's a good position in the car to put the mass of battery modules, but the GT86 has a relatively small transmission tunnel (because the transmission is so far forward compared to most front engine and rear drive sports cars), so the tunnel will need to be enlarged a lot to fit more than one LG Chem module. I'm just suggesting that this needs careful planning, including perhaps building a test tunnel of the size that you will need (from cardboard, for instance) and placing it in the car to see if the room left for the driver's and passenger's legs will be sufficient.

You might also consider making the enlarged tunnel open at the bottom instead of the top, with a battery box installed into it from the bottom. Access to place modules into the tunnel area from inside the car would be difficult.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding
Here’s the link to the product :
Excellent - that's what we're talking about. (y)

I wouldn't call that a kit of any kind: it's a stock Tesla drive unit with the controller board replaced by Stealth EV's board to make it easier to use outside of a Tesla car. That's good, but that's it, and there is a lot more to a complete EV.

Now you just need someone who has used one of these to fill in their experience with what is needed for the rest of the conversion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a good position in the car to put the mass of battery modules, but the GT86 has a relatively small transmission tunnel (because the transmission is so far forward compared to most front engine and rear drive sports cars), so the tunnel will need to be enlarged a lot to fit more than one LG Chem module. I'm just suggesting that this needs careful planning, including perhaps building a test tunnel of the size that you will need (from cardboard, for instance) and placing it in the car to see if the room left for the driver's and passenger's legs will be sufficient.

You might also consider making the enlarged tunnel open at the bottom instead of the top, with a battery box installed into it from the bottom. Access to place modules into the tunnel area from inside the car would be difficult.
Exactly, right now I’m in the process of designing the structure but basically it would be like a I Type configuration , engine bay , trasmition / exhaust tunnel and gas tank

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent - that's what we're talking about. (y)

I wouldn't call that a kit of any kind: it's a stock Tesla drive unit with the controller board replaced by Stealth EV's board to make it easier to use outside of a Tesla car. That's good, but that's it, and there is a lot more to a complete EV.

Now you just need someone who has used one of these to fill in their experience with what is needed for the rest of the conversion.
I’ll let you know as soon they reply with the details

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Just FYI, a few months ago someone compiled a list of Tesla replacement brains for the inverter, and all of them were either OpenInverter.org boards, or knock-offs with a different label (and perhaps a few custom additions, who knows).

Probably can just grab one from EVBMW.com or OpenInverter.org ( Damien's frustrated with Tesla buyers so Johannes is handles sales/service for his Tesla boards now).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just FYI, a few months ago someone compiled a list of Tesla replacement brains for the inverter, and all of them were either OpenInverter.org boards, or knock-offs with a different label (and perhaps a few custom additions, who knows).

Probably can just grab one from EVBMW.com or OpenInverter.org ( Damien's frustrated with Tesla buyers so Johannes is handles sales/service for his Tesla boards now).
Awesome , thanks for the info!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Stealth EV “kits” come with more than just drive unit and control board.

I bought their small rear and front drive unit kits for my 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution 8 conversion. Check the link below for thread where I posted pics of the kit received and listing of items .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Stealth EV “kits” come with more than just drive unit and control board.

I bought their small rear and front drive unit kits for my 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution 8 conversion. Check the link below for thread where I posted pics of the kit received and listing of items .

Thanks a lot , how was your build ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks a lot , how was your build ?
I just got the drive unit kits so it hasn’t really started yet. I’ll do a build thread once I progress a little just so I have some material to post.

And also I don’t really know what I’m doing and learning a long the way. I should probably call my build the “I Don’t Know What I’m Doing EV” . Lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
FYI they stopped sales of LG Chem batteries to the public. So unless you can source used ones from Pacifica Hybrid, you might need to reconsider your battery options.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got the drive unit kits so it hasn’t really started yet. I’ll do a build thread once I progress a little just so I have some material to post.

And also I don’t really know what I’m doing and learning a long the way. I should probably call my build the “I Don’t Know What I’m Doing EV” . Lol
Cool, same here lol, JDM electric twins lol

1 - 20 of 42 Posts