DIY Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Not that I'm pro Palin but I mean hey, while you are driving me to armageddon you might as well be easier on the eyes. Ya know?
I'd rather not have "sexy" as a thought about our leaders, ever. She's not even that hot, and that voice, oy! :eek: You were making so much sense up until then...

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Also, while gold itself may vary some in the coming days as a short term investment, precious metals in general will undoubtedly continue to climb over the longer term.
I wouldn't count on it. I'd say we're due for a major drop in gold prices

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Hey! Wait a minute!
I know what we export!

All the oil from the Alaskan Pipe Line! :D:D:D

As for President bashing........Presidents don't pass legislation.......Senators & Congressmen do. Those are the people we should be criticizing. We need term limits! Too many Dynasties for both Republican & Democrats.

Outlaw PAC money!
And throw the Bums Out!
I'd go a step further and outlaw "Parties." They get in bed together and we end up with what we have now.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I wouldn't count on it. I'd say we're due for a major drop in gold prices
Only when and if the dollar gains strength. I do not see that happening for some time and will hold my gold for now as I an DCA at $826 per ounce.

·
Registered
12 Posts
[h1]UPS plans to furlough at least 300 pilots[/h1]

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ups-plans-to-furlough-at-least-300-pilots-2010-02-08

I work for a fortune 500 company that owns a significant portion of the box / packaging business.

At several locations, instead of 3 shifts 5 days a week they are 2 shifts 4 days a week. It's another indicator of mine. If it is produced and boxed anywhere on the planet I'll know when there is a recovery. Even through the holidays it was horrible.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Only when and if the dollar gains strength. I do not see that happening for some time and will hold my gold for now as I an DCA at $826 per ounce.
I would be very carefull with gold, its nice to have PHYSICAL gold in small amounts but as security you are better off keeping 10-20% in junk silver and copper which are cheap to own and are less likely to loose 90% over short periods.

Do your reading gold historically DOES NOT GO UP IN VALUE when averaged out! It does have devistating flucuations/manipulations however. And a word of warning the ONLY reason gold is where it is at is because china is hoarding gold at the moment, just like Aluminum and copper last year.
The instant that changes you will see gold drop.

Also the dollar and gold have very little relationship to one another, especially right now with all the funny non-market BS going on. Gold and the dollar values do not have to be inverse, if the dollar were to collapse for example you could actually see Gold become worth much less because US demand and as a consequence chinese demand would die. Demand for gold right now is mostly
1. China
2. Hyped up ideots

Gold has been Russian roulette for at least a year, the longer it waits the bigger the fallout will be when it goes.

I have been waiting for this one to fall down just like the home and bank crisis I was waiting for nearly 9 years ago. Nobody seemed to believe me then either. Much the same way no one seemed to remember Bush Jr pledging to take out Sadam if elected in one of his early campaign moments.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Exactly. When you buy gold be sure to take possession of it. I mean really, would you buy a car or a house in this manner?

I own 3 Ford Mustangs, no lien holder. But suppose those 3 Mustangs were 2500 miles from me and I have the titles. Let's say they were locked up in a secure location and I had no access to them. So Ford quits producing them and the value goes up. The storage facility holding my Mustangs goes under and is bought out by a hostile company or country.

What are the odds I'll ever see those cars again?

Do you really KNOW where your gold is? If everyone showed up to make a withdrawal, made a run on gold, will you get yours?

Best to just stick to things you can use. For instance, I own a 4x4 40hp diesel tractor with front end loader and various attachments. It will run about 3 10 hour days on 12 gallons. I wash it and maintain it like my Mustangs. It sits in the same building next to them. I can trade time on it for FOOD and FUEL and I don't sweat the bank over it either.

Again, any form of currency reserve (gold, silver, or cash) is just a symbol. A symbol doesn't represent itself. The only value my tractor has is what it can do. Once it becomes disabled it's value is lost. Your currency reserve is a symbol of what you can do.

If you can DIY (build yourself) a car, a plane, a house, provide medical, etc... you have value. If not, you will probably get kicked to the curb unless you are someone's grandma. And if you are better hope you were a nice one and at the very least have some good recipes locked up your head even if you can't stand in front of a stove. Yeah that sounds chauvinist but I don't see her on a tractor in 100 degree heat either.

When you buy gold you are essentially loaning someone money interest free if the value drops. If that gold was in your possession with each trade you wouldn't see it at these outrageous prices. It's about INVENTORY control people.

When China and India decide to unload you better have been out of it.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Yep. Gold alone can be a poor investment. Precious metals funds which include some gold in the mix have consistently out-performed the market, however, as growing demand and limited supply forces prices up.

They are very volatile, however, and should either only be purchased for the long haul or day traded VERY carefully... :D

Caveat Emptor...

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I would be very carefull with gold, its nice to have PHYSICAL gold in small amounts but as security you are better off keeping 10-20% in junk silver and copper which are cheap to own and are less likely to loose 90% over short periods.
Thanks but I am aware of the volatility of gold. It only represents about 10% or so of my portfolio. With it being in American Gold Eagles I can liquidate in a moments notice at my bank, so I am not too worried.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Talking about the market and electricity: Fuel cells :cool:
http://www.bloomenergy.com/

I know SunKing will likely say I am spamming again, but I did not post the link in the other forum for Solar energy he moderates and banned me from yesterday,... the day I signed up. I think it is of interest and on topic here, especially if something the size of a couple of rubic’s cubes can power a typical American house.

I am also a Union Electrician and am familiar with the NEC as is SunKing who also moderates a forum on NEC topics. I have no conflict of interests. I just like alternative and renewable energy. :)

I got banned for spamming. Why can I not say what I do for an occupation or my interests?
The forum owner told me my “Hello From the Pacific North West” post was removed because they were told I was advertising in the meet and greet. All the evidence conveniently wiped from the drive by the moderator. Any fool knows a Union electrician does not solicit work. I have no business of my own to promote. What is wrong with telling the world a new emerging technology and a great solution will soon be available? Heck, as of right now I can’t even own stock in the company. I can't own the product. And I certainly cannot sell it.

As of right now there is nothing but a new interesting technology going public in a little over an hour.
Is that spamming? Is being an electrician wrong or is it just Plan-o politics and a conflict of interests that got me banned?

I think even SunKing would like more than a golf cart that runs on electricity without all those batteries.
” I terminated and banned you for SPAM. NO TOLERANCE FOR SPAMMERS” Dereck Campbell aka SunKing :mad:

I don’t care if I get banned here either. Nobody is going to stop this new technology. Union or not. Dem or Neocon.

This is not a buy recommendation. But it is worth watching as a stock and as an emerging technology.
BTW,.... Hi everyone. New technology is emerging!
Overunity
Yes, I heard that today was going to be exciting! I would think your post very much applies in this context. Maybe remove some of the explanations and just post it as possibly the next clean energy device.

For instance, I took your link, found this piece. If it works ELECTRIC cars could very much use this! Just post a link like this and let it speak for itself maybe.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6228923n&tag=contentMain;contentBody

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
I'm not sure what all the hype is about. It looks like a fuel cell that uses fossil fuels, what's the big deal? I think most of us have already heard about Bloom energy. Overunity, you sound like a bit of a nut-hypester with your first post ranting about Sunking and another discussion board.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
YES! Bloom energy is open for business! Here is a non-spamming link discussing auto aps:
http://theweeklydriver.com/2010/02/21/bloom-energy-could-it-replaces-the-electric-car-and-other-alternative-fuel-autos/
As I posted in the Bloom Box thread:
I came up with almost 9 cubic feet if scaled down to 1KW, my last refrigerator was that size and wouldn't fit in any average car. It also runs at 900 degrees, takes time to heat up, and 1KW won't do much to extend your range at all. This is a total joke as far as autos are concerned.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Calm down Overlunacy, you sound like a bit of a nut. Take your personal problems with Sunking to private messages or emails, we don't care. And your unbridled excitement over Bloom is rather unfounded as of yet. We don't know enough about it and they have a long way to go before they could ever possibly power a vehicle. Take a break from the crack pipe dude, let it cool a bit before hitting it again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, back on topic a bit here: Strange Treasury Auction activity.

This may be a indicator of what is setting up and how soon. I don't know. I had to skim through and just read then go back and review the numbers. If he is accurate in his observation things could start happening very soon and get us past all of this. The sooner the better.

Someone just parked 30 billion with virtually no yield.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/190362-something-very-strange-is-happening-with-treasuries?source=email

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Overunity was banned for being blatantly spamming, trolling and insulting other members.

Let the crowds rejoice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Overunity was banned for being blatantly spamming, trolling and insulting other members.

Let the crowds rejoice!
Thanks for opening the thread again. I found it quite informative from the start. Overunity could have said much more with fewer words.

I was starting to get scared of him the more I read, yikes! I think Bloom Energy is interesting but you guys are doing a great job here keeping things peaceful.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts