1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I’m a streetrod guy and I’m thinking of rocking the car world lol
Currently building a 1926 Chevrolet landau coupe
I was working on the power train design when I had the bright idea to maybe go electric car.

Trying to research on what it would take as I am a newbie to this
kits seem to be costly so I am hoping to discover cheaper alternatives

I realize the costs is in the batteries and motor
Just thought I would drop a hello and look forward to getting input from anyone who would like to help this old car guy out.

I am also a machinist by trade so making parts etc will be easy

cheers
Pete

·
Administrator
6,294 Posts
Hi Pete
That would be a great project - the important things are
the range you want
the performance
Sophistication

A few years back the motor would have been obvious - a beefy DC Forklift motor with direct drive to the rear axle
That is still an option but they stopped putting DC motors in forklifts about 10 years ago - so they will eventually run out

The other option is a bit more difficult - but the entire drive unit from a production EV in place of the back axle

That will give you a much more "Sophisticated" machine

My car is a roadster - but similar in some ways

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
In 1926 you could still buy a new electric car, such as Detroit Electric; they were not much different from the gasoline cars of the time, and you could copy the general design except using modern components (especially the battery and controller).

A few years back the motor would have been obvious - a beefy DC Forklift motor with direct drive to the rear axle
That is still an option but they stopped putting DC motors in forklifts about 10 years ago - so they will eventually run out

The other option is a bit more difficult - but the entire drive unit from a production EV in place of the back axle

That will give you a much more "Sophisticated" machine
Swapping in an entire salvaged drive unit, and the independent suspension that is needed to go with it, is usually the technically preferred (but often not at all easy) way to go. In this case, it would be so unlike the original car that it seems like a strange choice.

A variation that might be interesting is the complete drive unit, but with a de Dion axle suspension that would look almost like the original axle at the ends, including the springs if you want. It looks like the original has a plain live beam axle on leaf springs.

A motor (probably with a reduction gear set, depending on motor operating speed range and torque) placed where the original transmission was is still possible, even with a modern motor rather than a brushed DC motor (whether salvaged or new); it would be like the electric cars of the time.

·
Registered
417 Posts
In 1926 you could still buy a new electric car, such as Detroit Electric; they were not much different from the gasoline cars of the time, and you could copy the general design except using modern components (especially the battery and controller).

Swapping in an entire salvaged drive unit, and the independent suspension that is needed to go with it, is usually the technically preferred (but often not at all easy) way to go. In this case, it would be so unlike the original car that it seems like a strange choice.

A variation that might be interesting is the complete drive unit, but with a de Dion axle suspension that would look almost like the original axle at the ends, including the springs if you want. It looks like the original has a plain live beam axle on leaf springs.

A motor (probably with a reduction gear set, depending on motor operating speed range and torque) placed where the original transmission was is still possible, even with a modern motor rather than a brushed DC motor (whether salvaged or new); it would be like the electric cars of the time.
According to that article about Detroit Electric cars (thanks for the link to kool info) they were supposed to be reviving the brand ~10 years ago
...but, I've never heard of it (or them), did they ever get it going?

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
According to that article about Detroit Electric cars (thanks for the link to kool info) they were supposed to be reviving the brand ~10 years ago
...but, I've never heard of it (or them), did they ever get it going?
I don't think so. Just about every old brand has been the target of a revival attempt, usually having nothing to do with the original vehicle or its manufacturer, and most fail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts