DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I literally only have to solve this problem and then I'll have my '73 squareback roadside instead of on jackstands. So, I am pleading for help here as I am totally stumped. I'll try to best explain this problem.

Essentially, I am able to run the motor when I connect a cable from the KSI terminal directly to the secondary contactor (battery side), skipping over both the 12V/30A relay and the KLK fuse (I'm following the EVA wiring diagram). I tried a new relay and new KLK fuse to eliminate those issues, as well as tested the ohm readings on the potbox and adjusted it (1-3 ohms disengaged and maxs out around 4800, and reads under 100 before it 'clicks on'). I've even tried to adjust the microswitch on the potbox, but I'm not sure I did it right and also it didn't seem to have any effects. Unfortunately, the motor doesn't engage when I have it wired up from KSI to relay (30), relay (87) to KLK fuse, KLK fuse to secondary contactor. I even tried connecting up the two input wires together (that usually go to 'Com' and 'No' on the potbox) to close the secondary contactor w/ the ignition switch instead of the pedal and that didn't effect performance.

In case it helps, here are a few general points. I have a 1221c Curtis controller on a 96V system w/ two Curtis SW220 contactors. I have test the 8" DC motor w/ a 12V battery and it spins the wheels. I have tested the voltage on the battery side of both contactors and register 96.8V as well as from B+ to B- on the controller when the potbox lever is engaged. I register 90% of this from the KSI (positive probe) and the negative side of the first battery (negative probe).

If I need to include more information for troubleshooting, I'll be happy to add it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
both contactors are closing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the primary contactor closes w/ the ignition key being turned on and the secondary contactor closes when I move the potbox lever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I could post a picture (or the diagram if I can get approval from the one who designed it). But let me clean it up a bit first as it is a huge tangled mess right now since I was troubleshooting. Thankfully it is now fixed and the initial charge is almost complete, so it is time to test it around the neighborhood...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts