DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new to the site and to the field altogether. I'm building a 1938 Fiat 1100 with an altered body style and a Simca 1200 gasoline engine. I want to get rid of the gasoline engine and Go Electric as I see this as being the most effective way to create the torque and Horsepower (?) that I'm looking for. This is basically a frame up build as the car has been abandoned since 1963 and everything needs replacing. I'm guessing that the car will weigh around 1200 pounds when finished (a Guess Only), and am looking for advice on a suitable Motor size and all the necessary gear. Now let me state here that I am as Dumb as Snot with all of this stuff and am politely asking for any advice or suggestions as to what to fit the car up with. I AM on a Budget of sorts in that I don't make a lot of money in my current occupation, and I live in Norway(the country) which puts me a bit on the outskirts of civilization in regards to access to parts and assistance. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the board. Sorry Im no help on suggestions for your build, but when you start working on it and you will find out which motor controller you will use, PM me if you decide to go with Sevcon Gen4 Size 6 controller, I got some brand new units I could hook you up at a low price.

PS. I know I dont have much rep on here yet, so If you would like we can complete the transaction on Ebay. I have already sold some on there and currently have one for sale.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
6,138 Posts
Hi Bruno

The first thing that you need to find out is the legal requirements for Norway - it may be that with converting such an old car it's a bit easier!

Once you have that sussed out then you can do some planning

There are three basic options
DC motor and controller (forklift motor) - cheap powerful but "unsophisticated"
New AC motor and controller - expensive low power but a bit more sophisticated
AC motor from an EV (Leaf or Tesla or....) - powerful, cheap, sophisticated - BUT complicated!

A 71017721 - please don't try selling in the New Members section
- I have had one complaint already

Sell your stuff in the "for sale" bit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Reply. Your advise is noted as also In questioning the veracity of my attempts at this conversion in a country like norway. It is a very green country and on any given day i see 5-20 Tesla's quite easily, but it is also a country that seems to Lack Grass Roots Logic when it comes to DIY in that I may not be 'Allowed' to take on a project like this as i am NOT an Electrical Engineer SPECIFICALLY Schooled in Converting a 1938 Fiat into an EV. Thissort of irritation I experience at times in taking on a project. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
6,138 Posts
Hi Bruno

The specific problems are usually to do with safety - or - and this is the problem with a lot of Europe - Electromagnetic radiation - for some reason a lot of European countries have their nickers in a twist over this!

You need to find out specifically what Norway needs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bruno

The specific problems are usually to do with safety - or - and this is the problem with a lot of Europe - Electromagnetic radiation - for some reason a lot of European countries have their nickers in a twist over this!

You need to find out specifically what Norway needs
(Bruno) I found a short article online after reading your reply yesterday from cleantechnica.com entitled: 'What Was I Thinking? A Tale Of An EV Conversion That Was Over Before It Began' by Jesper Berggreen. In it he speaks of a planned conversion of a 1977 Volvo 242DL. It appears that he was doing this convesion in Denmark and details frankly the difficuties in doing such a thing from a financial aspect because of government testing requirements and approval. Basically he details a $60,000 Gamble that could easily be very unsuccessful in the end regardless to any degree of build quality. Now this man lives in Denmark and I live in Norway, these are 2 countries who are Supportive of the EV movemnet, but apparently only from the side of New EV Purchases via companies such as Tesla. There was also an additional article about the long term effects in regards to Recycling, though I've not read it yet. That is a shoe that I have been waiting to see drop as well.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
The legal requirements are important, of course, but I don't think there's much point in making technical decisions without understanding the functional requirements. Given the starting vehicle and the reference to an "altered" body, is this a drag race car? If so, is it for racing only, racing primarily but streetable, or for practical street use?

This is extreme, and it's the wrong model of Fiat, but for an ideal of what an Altered Fiat typically means...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts