DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a few years back, but I'm wanting to start setting up for a EV conversion. Reason being, I love electric vehicles, but I also love Jeeps. I'm inspired by the upcoming Tesla trucks and I'm a huge fan of scifi series like Star Wars and Mass Effect. I wanted to post my ideas for it thus far and get some feedback and further ideas. I don't currently have a budget as I am unsure of the total expected cost of the project.

As you can probably already can tell, I'm new to EV conversions and motors, so suggestions will be welcome!

My skill level is average. I'm not a mechanic, but I prefer to do all my own repairs and modifications.

I'd like to get around 100-200 miles per charge on the high way. It can be less when off road.

The motors need to provide almost as much or more torque than what I have currently and retain off road 4x4 capability.

Keyless entry and push button start. I will need a RFID chip reader and a push button kit. I was also thinking of having separate switches that turn on/off individual systems. this would make the start up a little longer but it would add a extra layer of security as a would be thief would need to know the start up sequence.

Replacing the stock radio in the dashboard with a touch screen monitor.

Onboard diagnostic system. Capable of detecting errors or problems on most if not all systems of the Jeep and display them on a dashboard screen, preferably with a cut away diagram of the jeep showing the location of the issue.

Rear camera for backing up, also to be displayed on the dashboard screen.

Solar panels on the roof to allow for some measure of recharge when a charging station is unavailable, like when I'm out camping or hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I converted my Toyota 4Runner to an EV and retained off road capability. You may see the details at http://www.diyelectriccar.com/garage/cars/874
All your design parameters can be achieved but probably cost you closer to $35-40k for the conversion
Sham
Is most of that cost going toward the motors and battery? And do you have suggestions for which type of motors?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes. $22k went to batteries (for a 140 mile range). Jeep is smaller, so probably you will get >200 mile range for this amount. I got Azure AC90 motor and the DMOC 645 cheap ($7k), but with Azure being out of business you will either need to go with Siemens (>$12k or HPEV AC kits with Curtis controller for about $8k or so) or go with a DC motor controller kit. From cost point of view DC motor kits are cheaper. Also note that you do not get $8k or so tax credit for a conversion. You still need charger ($1.6k for 5kw Elcon charger & around $1200 for Orion BMC).
Sham

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. $22k went to batteries (for a 140 mile range). Jeep is smaller, so probably you will get >200 mile range for this amount. I got Azure AC90 motor and the DMOC 645 cheap ($7k), but with Azure being out of business you will either need to go with Siemens (>$12k or HPEV AC kits with Curtis controller for about $8k or so) or go with a DC motor controller kit. From cost point of view DC motor kits are cheaper. Also note that you do not get $8k or so tax credit for a conversion. You still need charger ($1.6k for 5kw Elcon charger & around $1200 for Orion BMC).
Sham
Well its a Wrangler Unlimited, so its not much smaller. And I wasn't expecting a tax credit anyway, I just like to experiment and build stuff with a scifi flare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts