DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have myself 80kWh of Second Gen leaf battery packs (2x 40kWh packs).

I want to build an EV with decent power primarily, and reasonable range.

I have lots of experience in non-road going EVs, but nothing above about 50kW of power. No issues with the BMS/charging control etc, I just need advice on the powertrain.

The dilemma:

A leaf motor is rated to 110kW - This isn't enough for me unless it can be 'tweaked' with a different inverter.
A tesla small drivetrain is 220kW - This should do.
A large output DC motor - Not sure they would be capable of this power or easily obtained - poor efficiency?

The Leaf Modules are good for around ~300A which is around 120kW for a 40kW pack, but I think beyond this the tabs on the modules aren't suitable, and the chemistry is aimed at energy rather than power so I don't think it is wise to pull 600A from one pack.

This means that I would be better off using 2x packs in parallel for an output of up to 240kW, but the weight will be in the region of 600kg.

Can anyone recommend a good low-cost donor vehicle which would handle this kind of weight increase, with enough space to distribute this weight across both axles without having a massively rear heavy car.

My initial thoughts were:

- Citroen C5 tourer with front-mounted small tesla drive unit
Pro's to this would be its a big car, and has Hydractive suspension which would help compensate for the weight.

- BMW e61 with rear-mounted small drive unit (this one would involve significant chassis mods and boot floor removal).

- Audi A6 with front-mount motor.

Any advice would be appreciated.

BR
J

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Citroen Berlingo has a van variant, so you should be able to bolt on heavy-duty suspension components relatively easily. The aerodynamics will be less good than a C5, but there might be other models with heavier duty arms that share geometry with the C5. Maybe the 2009-2016 Peugeot 5008 and Citroen C4 Grand Picasso?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
It was apparent from the list of possibilities that this build is not in North America, where a pickup truck or truck-based SUV would be the obvious answer. I agree that a small commercial van could work well, with battery under a raised floor.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If it were me, I'd put it all in a Volvo 240 wagon...Big square brick up front in place of the motor, flat sled as the new floor of the rear bed.

Fast DC charging and serious range capabilities would make for a killer road-trip and hauling vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A van is a good choice. However an e-nv200 would be a lot less trouble. If you can integrate fast charging it will make your conversation more viable. The lightest vehicle with the highest gvw should be a goal?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Oh! Also maybe a Roadmaster! So ugly they're cool again. They seat 8, fit a stack of drywall flat, and can tow thousands of pounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts