DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
What are you trying to do? Certainly you could add a huge bank of supercaps to a lead acid battery in order to slightly improve Peukert but you are looking at $25000 in supercaps to do so. If you spend that much on an equal weight of Lithium cells compared to the Lead Acid batteries you have somewhere between 4 and 8 times the range and lots of extra cargo space.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I agree with Doug's response. Unless you already have 20,000 dollars of lead acid batteries, this is a bad science experiment. It will be heavy, and complicated. Two things you want to avoid most with an EV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx dougingraham and jwiger.but i can't afford that much amount and i like to know with circuitry is needed if supercaps are charged with regenerative braking and to charge the batteries with that supercapacitors.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
In general you cant get more energy out of the drive system when braking than you put into it when you do a maximum acceleration. And the batteries can usually accept the energy at this level without the need for an intermediate storage mechanism.

The real use for supercaps is going to be stop/start systems on hybrid vehicles and the temporary storage of regen energy where the battery is too small to accept the regen event energy. And to provide the energy for launch. But this doesn't apply to an EV with even a 30+ mile range.

Super caps just aren't super enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank for your advice dougingraham.I have six lead-acid batteries and i'm trying to use caps to store the regen energy and to charge the batteries and to gain more acceleration using cap bank.i hv 10kW BLC motor currently mounted to BMC mini.ARE there any considerations when using that set up.:):confused:

·
Registered
389 Posts
you can use capacitors to pulse charge lead acid batteries, as they prefer being charged this way but its a lot of effort and you will probably end up ditching lead in favor for Li chemistry that continues to get cheaper.

spend your money on better batteries.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts