DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey this is my first time in a DIY Electric car conversion forum!

I am in a cross country touring band and fuel costs with the slow economy is really taking a toll on on us :mad:

I am trying to get an idea on what it would take to make some sort of a hybrid R/V or box truck that would bring the fuel cost to a manageable amount. I have access to all sorts of machine toys to make fabrications and what not.

I got the idea from my buddie's R/C monster truck. It was a vehicle that had 2 engine mounts, one which he mounted a nitro engine to and the other an electric motor. Somehow he got the 2 separate systems to work with each other. In return both battery life and fuel economy went up drastically. not quite double but around 60-70% more efficient. I know there are a lot of differences between r/c trucks and full scale one's, but I thought it was a good start.

So if you know of any threads to help put me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
511 Posts
There's no reason you can't do this, and many people have proposed or asked about this on the forum, but I'm not aware of anyone finishing one and posting about it here. The main problem you'll encounter is weight; putting in a bunch of batteries and an electric motor, and the bits to connect a second power source to the drive train, adds a lot of weight. An EV works because you take out the heavy ICE but if you leave it for a hybrid, you don't have anywhere to save weight.

If you look at production hybrids, they put pretty anemic, lightweight engines in along with the electric motor. Taking out the engine, putting a new, smaller one in, then adding all the electric motor bits, and figuring out how to make the two work together, would probably be prohibitively expensive and time consuming for a vehicle you need to be working on a regular basis. If you had a second vehicle you could do this to while you continued using your main one, that might work, but you can't realistically do this in a short enough period of time to keep your band on the road.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
hate to say it, but for long-haul trucking, I think the future is bio-diesel.... not electric. You might be able to improve your vehicle; lighten up, aero mods, consider changing vehicles to reduce frontal area, better tires, find most efficient speed.

It's possible that if you have a home-base you can 'grow-your-own' bio-diesel, or research a network of friendly fryers along your tour routes and go veggie oil.

Moving a large vehicle long distance with electric motors will be problematic with range, power, and lack of availability for high-voltage/amp recharge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the speedy response! I agree the weight will be a large factor in its possibilty, the cool thing about most R/V type vehicles that (at least ones I have owned or rented) they are meant to pull weight (engine and gear ratio wiess), I have even driven some that I could not tell the difference in pulling a trailer or not. So I think if it could be kept in the ball park of 1000-1800 pounds the benefits could possible still be seen. Is there a electric kit in the ballpark of that wieght? I wonder if you could make the electric motor in-gauge and dis-in-gauge from the drive train?

I have pondered on this for awhile now. Here is what I have come up with to save cost's!

-going bio-diesel and building a network of bio-diesel chief's around country

-building a in-gauge-able electric motor assist to lower interstate rpm

-investing in some newer batt technology life/lipo/lithium iron phosphate

-installing light weight solar panels on roof to help keep batts charged

-getting sponsors to rent logo space on side of vehicle and trailer

I bet if I was able to do all of them I would be making money to drive it :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
What kind of engine does the vehicle have stock?

Also, the RPM your engine operates at on the highway will be dependent upon your gearing. Thermal efficiency with internal combustion engines increases with load, and is at its highest around 1/3 of the engine's max RPM and about 2/3-3/4 throttle. Find a BSFC map of your engine if you can.

Once you know how your engine operates, you can figure out what you'll need to do for your electric setup to work. A hybrid setup is not going to add a lot to your economy unless yopu do a lot of city driving; that being said, you could still see 15% gains on the highway with one, never mind a fantastic burst of acceleration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you make it so that the RV motor is running a Generator, then it runs at a set speed. Battery pack will take up extra power when electric motor is not using it all. Battery pack supplies extra power when electric motor needs it. (more than gen can provide). they used to run milk trucks like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts