DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into incorporating super or ultra caps into my design project to deal with the power generated from regen braking.

Does anyone know what kinds of current/energy transfer rate a lithium ion battery can handle? I dont want to waste time looking at capacitors if the batteries can already take it.

I heard the specific energy storage of capacitors (Energy storage/mass) is lower than liion batteries as well, so i guess theres no reason to have them unless the energy from regen braking is being transfered at such a short space of time that they become neccesary...?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im looking into incorporating super or ultra caps into my design project to deal with the power generated from regen braking.

Does anyone know what kinds of current/energy transfer rate a lithium ion battery can handle? I dont want to waste time looking at capacitors if the batteries can already take it.

I heard the specific energy storage of capacitors (Energy storage/mass) is lower than liion batteries as well, so i guess theres no reason to have them unless the energy from regen braking is being transfered at such a short space of time that they become neccesary...?
My two-pennorth:

1. Many suppliers now seem to offer high power or high energy variants of Li-Ion batteries. The high power ones have high C rating (C rating x amp hours = max current): better acceleration and regenerative braking. The high energy ones have more watt hours per kg: better range. There is little for it but to read about C rating until you understand it, then trudge through the specifications. For good regen you need a higher charge C rating.
  2. Batteries don't do regen power when fully charged. I just do not know whether/how a bank of capacitors would help with this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My two-pennorth:
  1. Batteries don't do regen power when fully charged. I just do not know whether/how a bank of capacitors would help with this.
Yes i guess thats a problem with having only liion and regen since the batteries would blow up when forced more charge. Although i cant see why i cant have an ECU that tells the regen to turn off when the batteries are at full charge.

But again that wastes energy...

I think the cost and mass of the capacitors may be too much anyway.

I want to use the 50Ah batteries on thunderstruck, does anyone have a spec sheet for them, i only have the basic details?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
most Li large format cells 'could' be charged at 1C with a AC motor directly... no ultracap required. For faster or higher amp regen in a hard stop situation a capacitor is a great way to go until you look at realistic limitations.

I found a maxwell ultracap that would hold enough for one 'braking event', and it ends up being 10"x18"30", weighing 150#, and costing about $7k.

For the 20% you MIGHT gain in range with city driving, you are better off buying higher aH batteries to start with.....

If you are building a car, forget anything less than 100ah... you won't get enough acceleration at less than 300amps and 96v to be truely 'roadworthy' even in a small car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are building a car, forget anything less than 100ah... you won't get enough acceleration at less than 300amps and 96v to be truly 'roadworthy' even in a small car.
I guess that is changing/will change as higher and higher C ratings become available?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I guess that is changing/will change as higher and higher C ratings become available?
There are already some with higher C ratings if you have unlimited budget, but with less than 100aH per cell (and less than 10kWhr total) you'll have spent a lot of time and money to have very limited range... Unless you are building a race-only vehicle, it is far more usable and possible to sell to others with a range of 40+ miles and enough power for cabin heat, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts