DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a source of custom suspension springs for EV's. Being so overweight, no stock springs are any good. The only place I've found so far, has supposedly had some in the works for me since June. I won't mention their name as I don't think they need any more business. All the suspension shops in this state want me to give them the car for however long it will take. There must places that can engineer the springs given the car model and weight change.

Conversion tip: Don't wait till the last thing to order heavier springs.
Greg C.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sometimes you can get lucky and use thicker springs from another vehicle. For my 87 Civic..it turns out I could use thicker rear springs from an 87 Acura Integra..they fit right in with no problem at all and lifted my sagging rear. Perhaps there was a station wagon or sedan version of your car that had thicker springs. What car are you converting Sedonix? Pics?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm looking for a source of custom suspension springs for EV's. Being so overweight, no stock springs are any good. The only place I've found so far, has supposedly had some in the works for me since June. I won't mention their name as I don't think they need any more business. All the suspension shops in this state want me to give them the car for however long it will take. There must places that can engineer the springs and husky tool boxes given the car model and weight change.

Conversion tip: Don't wait till the last thing to order heavier springs.
Greg C.
The additional weight of the batteries will cause compression of the springs which in most vehicles will change the suspension geometry. This will also reduce the space available for suspension travel. Try checking on eBay.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I ordered a set of custom made springs that were OEM specs plus the extra 460lbs I added to the rear end from customsprings... of course, they said they would ship in about a week and they've yet to charge my credit card even though it's been over a month! So... who knows. They seemed very knowledgeable and able to do it.. they just haven't yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had custom coil springs made by Coil Spring Specialties, they did an excelent job, price in 05 was about $200 for the pair. Their address and ph# , Coil Spring Speialties , 623 W. Bertrand , St.Marys ,KS. 66536 , ph# 785-437-2025.

Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts