DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I present to you my project!!
All began two years ago when it’s become more difficult to find vegetable oil to run my old diesel Mercedes 190.

So I start thinking about a better way to move on the road.
After few researches on fuel alternative I decide to go with EV.

At this time I had no experience with electricity and the idea to start a costly conversion of a car scary me a bit and it’s why I decide to go for the motorcycle conversion.
Well my need was to have a lightweight and fun to ride motorcycle and it’s the reason I choose 2005 Suzuki DRZ 400 SM.

I started by disassembly the bike and do some drawing of the frame. After is came the hard choose of motor to put in the tight frame of a DRZ. I am going with DC serie and that force me to design and work to a gearbox.
So I have can test last summer for the first time my electric DRZ at only 36 volts. I don’t do many advance the project after this and I passed all the last winter at try to repair the blow 700A /72v Logisystems controller and try to choose between A123 26650, Saft, headway, Gaia, lifebatt, and all other for batteries.

I finally choose Headway 38120S 10Ah for his great price performance ratio. I draw some battery pack before buy directly from china 94 cells. My original design was 30s/3p for 99 volt and 30Ah but I decide to don’t modify the logisystems(it’s not mine!!) for higher voltage and it’s why I only have 84v(26s /3p). It’s a small diference of voltage than do a big change on performance.

When I started the project my dream was to do the 0-62 mph faster than my ICE DRZ sm. But at this moment he doesn’t do it. My electric DRZ have a great acceleration with 4.1 : 1 ratio but between 0-50 mph. The ICE DRZ with his 3 first speed do a bit better acceleration. So I have a top speed of 68 mph and I think it’s nice for a first conversion. Also, at this moment I have never do more than 16 miles without charging and it's why I don’t know the max range.

Enjoy the pictures of the transformation……

Here a little video of some first ride at 84 volts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ueTa5pyHQ

Final product

Disassembly-1

Disassembly-2

Disassembly-3

D&D ES-15-6 motor

D&D and Gearbox

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
And the battery pack design start

Sub seat 33v pack with aluminium bus bar

Side view

Battery pack insertion test with paper

Preliminary assembly

Headway assembly begin

Headway assembly sub seat pack

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
That is a great setup, compact and simple in appearance. :)

Did you make the gearbox yourself or is it off the shelf or adapted?

I can imagine that sort of bevel box with two pinions in for a nice V twin set up for a big cruiser bike.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you make the gearbox yourself or is it off the shelf or adapted?
It's an home made gearbox. Some industrial gearbox capable to pass 75lbs/pi of torque and 20-30 hp have weight a lot more and be a lot bigger.

Mine is base about a 4 x 4 x 1/4 HSS tube than I weld flange. He weight 12 lbs complete.

·
4,838 Posts
It's an home made gearbox. Some industrial gearbox capable to pass 75lbs/pi of torque and 20-30 hp have weight a lot more and be a lot bigger.

Mine is base about a 4 x 4 x 1/4 HSS tube than I weld flange. He weight 12 lbs complete.

That is really nice work and such a good way to get the drive to the chain.
Now, about that V twin set up....:D

·
4,838 Posts
It's also a realy good way to reduce ratio and don't install a really huge rear sprocket!!

Here a little video of some first ride at 84 volts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ueTa5pyHQ
Excellent!:D

We should get our local UK 'Yobs on trials bikes' to see that and get converting. They may still be a pain in the ass, riding where they shouldn't, but at least they will be quiet pains in the ass!:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
looks like MUCH FUN to drive...

gooooooood job man...

gearbox-job is just great...
one question: wher did you got the gear wheel from? are they cutom made?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last update!

I have performed a 12.5 miles trip yesterday. When a recharge the Icharger told me I have consumed 11.5Ah.

So, some calculation: (12.5 x 30Ah) / 11.5Ah give me a potential max range of 32.5 miles at 85v 30Ah.

At the supposed to be 99v nominal that give me a max range of 37.5 miles or 30 miles @ 80% discharge.

I'm very happy of this range.

Important note: It's the range at between 27 to 46 MPH with around 35 MPH of average speed....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts