DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, I have an eNV200 here that I'm using for a conversion, can I simply replace the 2 very different (and bulky) sockets with a single CCS2 type plug (which is far more common here) and roll with that in my conversion without pissinbg off the LEAF infrastructure?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Only if you then make some sort of CCS to CHAdeMO adapter (practically impossible).

CHAdeMO and CCS are both complicated and very specific, they can't just be swapped. eNV200 only supports CHAdeMO so you're stuck with that until some progress is made on a DIY solution.

-Isaac

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
The issue is not the connector - it's the electronic logic which controls the power. You could change the connector but the Nissan bits would still not talk to a CCS Combo charger, as Isaac explained.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, I thought all the chargers were now standardised, just that the plugs were different, hence why you could get adaptors to just plug one into the other.
That's poo.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Very poo.
AC charging is pretty standardized, but DC is not (mostly because the power levels are higher, and so lots more safety is needed).
CHAdeMO has 3 digital signals and CAN bus--not too bad.

But CCS had to overcomplicate everything - they have a full network stack communicating over one of the J1772 signal wires. So basically you need a small computer on each side to make CCS work.

If an open-source CCS system ever appears, I'll probably work on a CCS to CHAdeMO adapter.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Damn, I thought all the chargers were now standardised, just that the plugs were different, hence why you could get adaptors to just plug one into the other.
That's poo.
While North America and Europe use different connectors for what is presumably otherwise the same CCS standard, that CCS control standard is still very separate from CHAdeMO. The adapters are intelligent devices.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While North America and Europe use different connectors for what is presumably otherwise the same CCS standard, that CCS control standard is still very separate from CHAdeMO. The adapters are intelligent devices.
So hear me out here,could I hard bolt the adaptor to the car and just hide the Chademo in the guard?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, if there was such an adapter.
EVGo does basically that for their Tesla/CCS/CHAdeMO combo station - they have a CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter and the CHAdeMO plug usually sits inside the adapter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts