DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

new member here and trying to figure out my budget. Any chance anyone knows whether there is any kind of tax benefit you can get from an EV conversion?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,342 Posts
Tax credits are generally payoffs to corporations to create jobs that politicians can brag about. It's about perception, not results.

No one cares about some DIYers. Sure you're adding an EV to the world, but no one cares about that. They care about you spending money and some company making a profit. I've never heard of any tax credits, anywhere in the world for conversions. It's all "buy it new" benefits. I'd be happy to be wrong if anyone's ever heard of any.

·
Registered
Electric Sprint Kart
66 Posts
And at least in the US it's about the Congress critter getting a kickback from whoever they are helping to grow their own wealth. You don't contribute to them so you are irrelevant. Chuck-U Schumer doesn't care about your EV conversion.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hi all,

new member here and trying to figure out my budget. Any chance anyone knows whether there is any kind of tax benefit you can get from an EV conversion?
Thanks!
In my state not only do they not give you a credit they want $665 in extra title and registration if they figure out it’s a plug in

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I see that Wisconsin has a $100 per year surcharge for electric vehicles (intended to compensate for the loss of state revenue from motor fuel tax), but where does the other $565 come from?
$565 is a county level issue (may have changed slightly in the last year since registrations around here are moving targets)

On an EV they take your registration fee (total amount for your area)
And multiply it by 2.5x to get your title fee

In this county
Registration is a total of $210
Title is therefore 210x2.5=$525
Registration fees are random throughout the state due to wheel and other local taxes, the method of determining the title cost exists to screw over primarily democratic areas.

meaning your first year is $735 which is about 20 years of gas tax for my Chevy cobalt

If it were just the registration that was $100 extra it wouldn’t bother me as much (still a ripoff since my normal gas car burns $200 of fuel annually)

but the ev title cost is horrifying when a normal econo car pays a normal and relatively cheap title and registration plus only about $35 annually on gas tax.

and all because 3500 BEVs are in Wisconsin out of 6.5 million cars

1 - 11 of 11 Posts