DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Long story short I've tried to learn CAN, which I sorta have now. I understand the elcon/TC charger CAN byte structure and I have constructed my CAN message telling it the charge to voltage and current using an arduino nano/uno.

the code is short, and I tested it by using two arduinos and using the can modules, one as a receiver, to ensure the message went across OK, and it was all fine.

Does anyone know how to control these chargers with CAN without using a BMS? You know, like manually, some DIY way? If anyone knows how or how to do it with an arduino or something, it would be much appreciated. I have been so stumped by this and spent every hour of my weekend trying to figure it out, and I got nothing. Charger is elcon/TC UHF 6.6kw @ 250kbps CAN speed.

Thank you, and attached is the CAN spec

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

Long story short I've tried to learn CAN, which I sorta have now. I understand the elcon/TC charger CAN byte structure and I have constructed my CAN message telling it the charge to voltage and current using an arduino nano/uno.

the code is short, and I tested it by using two arduinos and using the can modules, one as a receiver, to ensure the message went across OK, and it was all fine.

Does anyone know how to control these chargers with CAN without using a BMS? You know, like manually, some DIY way? If anyone knows how or how to do it with an arduino or something, it would be much appreciated. I have been so stumped by this and spent every hour of my weekend trying to figure it out, and I got nothing. Charger is elcon/TC UHF 6.6kw @ 250kbps CAN speed.

Thank you, and attached is the CAN spec
What stage have you got to, what is the LED status light on the charger telling you? Is it doing that continuous red/green flash that says 'communication error'? Do you have the list of status codes?

Alarms
LED Flashing Sequence (One Cycle) Indication
1 R G _ _ _ _ _ _ Wrong Battery
2 R G R _ _ _ _ _ Overcharged
3 R G R G _ _ _ _ Battery temperature too high
4 R G R G R _ _ _ Incorrect AC Input Voltage
5 R G R G R G _ _ Heat Sensor error
6 R G R G R G R _ Communication interface error
7 G R _ _ _ _ _ _ Charger temperature exceeds 85ºC
8 G R G _ _ _ _ _ Charger relay error – maintenance required
9 G R G R _ _ _ _ General Charger error – maintenance required

Hope this helps; I should eventually be able to record a CAN log of ours during a charging session (though we will be endeavoring to use J1772 public chargers, but it should be the same at the charger end) and can paste that if it's of use (and if I remember).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts