DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I encounteredon a small problem at my electric conversion. From the supplier I get the charger with activated CAN BUS. But the charger was delivered without CAN BUS unit. Supplier promised deliver new CAN bus unit, but the time it's over 3 weeks. I need urgently charge the battery, it's a way for making it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The can bus module converts serial from the charger to canbus and isolates the serial electrically from. As I understand it you can send the data words and recieve the charger messages via serial, it might be 12v ttl serial I havent tested.

·
Registered
391 Posts
No the CAN cannot be disabled. You would have to reprogram the charger for that.

Jack Richard on Evtv has a box that plugs in in place of the CAN module but I am not sure if he sells it seperator. I can help you build your own if you want

·
Registered
186 Posts
If the charger has an external canbus adapter the adapter ist converting serial from the charger to canbus and canbus from whatever you send can bus from to serial for the charger. Don't connect the adapter and you can communicate with charger via serial, using the same data words. I don't think the serial is isolated from the charging output so be mindfull of that.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Rather than build a complete CAN box, which hopefully you'll get replaced soon, you could build just an RS232 interface, like this:

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=4349&PID=54092&title=problem-tc-charger#54092

In fact, you may find it more convenient than the CAN box, depending on your situation.

You will need to send it some serial data at 2400 bps to get it to charge; see this thread:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=504890#post504890

You may be able to use the attached elconsend.c program (inside elconsend.zip). The .exe is for Cygwin.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts